Back to Arne.... A Chiffbler ID Parade!!

Forecast was pleasant for this morning, last night, coinciding nicely with my day off, so I thought a trip back to Arne to try for some better Dartford Warbler pics would be ideal. I had a lovely lie in, and left home just after 7, temperature v. chilly, visibility very good, if you could see through the mist! Forecast still nice.

I was greeted in the car park by a vocal Great Tit

And also by the rat-a-tat-tat of a Greater Spotted Woodpecker... I eventually spotted him way up high

As I was peering for the woodie, another movement caught my eye.... Nuthatch with Bed Head (well it was still pre 8am and the hairdressers have only been open a couple of days!!)

As I walked through the car park (pretty deserted thankfully), a Robin dutifully defied my entry to his territory

And in the area behind the red and white tape, a small flock of Linnets were rootling about

Along with a couple of Mistle Thrushes

High above the parking spaces, atop a tree was a Siskin (I hope so anyway, as it'll be my first of the year if it is Slight smile)

A chaffinch flashed across my eyeline and landed in the next tree along

I then had Nige's chiffchaff "Twig-itis" for Mr and Mrs BlackCap, but eventually got a couple of snaps

I heard so distinctive honking, and a pair of Canada Geese flew over

Well, I thought.... so much for the car park...let's see what the actual reserve is like this morning!!

I could hear the nattering of some Long Tailed Tits, but only saw one....unless it was talking to itself!!

As the title suggests, there were a goodly number of warblers about, and bearing in mind several hundred have come into the area over the last few days (viewed at the Portland Obs Centre), and some of them were actually singing, some of these won't be Chiffchaffs! 

1)

Mrs Chaffie with a breakfast snackette

2) A sequence featuring the very seldom seen Hummingbird Chiffbler

And a shot of when it finally came to rest

3) The next one!

There is a theory, that is rarely spoken of, that all birds generally try to confuse me, by being seen in the wrong place, or acting unlike I expect them to... for instance this Dunnock, sitting on top of a pine tree, masquerading as a Dartford Warbler... I mean, come on...on TOP of a tree??!!

And this cleverly disguised Linnet, actually on the right bush for a Dartford!

A very distant, back view of what I think is probably a Greenfinch(??)

As I walked down towards the viewing screen I could see through one of the cut-outs something appeared to be blocking the view... as I got closer I realised it was.....

There were a few waders about, mainly Godwits and a couple of Curlew.... but I need to learn how to take back-lit photographs, as only 2 weren't just silhouettes on water!

Back to disguises, I think another Dunnock

And I'm a bit stumped next, too... female Stonechat?

And more disguise... a Meadow Pipit with a Skylarks crest forming?

4) This is one of the definitely NOT a Chiffchaff... it was singing a proper song!! (except for not having lyrics etc)

See!!

Another lady Stonechat... probably!

5)

6)

7)

8)

There were two of the next bird, chasing each other between the pine trees, I'm thinking Siskin on the basis of probability...but Serin, maybe? Understandably difficult with just this one image!)

And as I headed back to the car, that infernal drumming started again...

An absorbing, confusing morning!!

Thanks in advance for any forthcoming ID's

Stay Safe All

• An amazing display of so many different birds PB, all providing a lovely walk out for us to join in. I was just about to put up four shots and have been well and truly shamed by my lack of effort :-) :-) I have to say that the Chiffchaffs are only very thin on the ground here at mo., but those Siskin and Warblers are just fabulous, yes I agree with the female Stonechat (for what it's worth!) I have been trying out the burst mode on camera and then couldn't get out of it without reading the instructions, that took forever!!! Good luck with the backlighting.
  • Just saw Robbo's post, ooops on the Wren!!!!!
  • Thanks both..... Can't believe I didn't even think of wren, never even crossed my mind!! I must have been so fixated on warblers. Doh!! lol
  • Looks like a lovely car park ... before you get to the rest of Arne. Now is the time Dunnocks come out of the shadows, so even if they aren't Dartfords it's nice to make the most of the opportunity Grinning That is a lot of warblers that have popped out into the open for you. 

• Lovely pictures - and great commentary - Chuckles at this end!

What variety you saw though.
    That would be half of my bird book checked off!
  • You certainly had a good day at Arne.

Absorbing, yes, confusing?

Well, you enjoyed it and brought back some fabulous photos. Thumbsup

• A great bunch of photos PB it's not an area I am familiar with but anywhere with Dartford Warblers must be worth visiting in my opinion. It's a very rare bird for us up here in Yorkshire, usually birds that have got lost !
  • Thanks Nige... I see you didn't offer up any warbler ID's lol
    Tone, if I can make one person chuckle or even smile, then the uploading pains are worth it :o)
    Mike, confused is my general state of mind, but when a load of warblers get chucked into the mix, then my brain sort of melts... and just wait until Damsel season arrives, it's a bleedin' nightmare then!!
    Thanks Pete, I think last count there were 70-odd breeding pairs, but I still only briefly see them, probably every 3rd or 4th visit
  • PimperneBloke said:
    Thanks Nige... I see you didn't offer up any warbler ID's lol

Tone, if I can make one person chuckle or even smile, then the uploading pains are worth it :o)
    Mike, confused is my general state of mind, but when a load of warblers get chucked into the mix, then my brain sort of melts... and just wait until Damsel season arrives, it's a bleedin' nightmare then!!
    Thanks Pete, I think last count there were 70-odd breeding pairs, but I still only briefly see them, probably every 3rd or 4th visit

I'm with you and confusion.

I've been tearing my last few grey hairs out (not cells, they've been awol for toooo long) on a bird id, chiffchaff or willow warbler before posting a few photos from yesterday.

• I think the second Thrush is a Song Thrush looking at the arrowhead markings.

Plenty of birds seen for you to ID.