What’s your favourite bird/birds?

Hello, I’ve been birding since September last year (a newbie) and I wanted to get other people’s opinions on their favourite bird/birds. If COVID wasn’t here I would ask in person, but since we’re in lockdown, I thought I would ask on here and start a discussion. You can have more than one favourite bird (depending on different factors) as I think different birds have different personalities. For example, my favourite bird looks wise is a Goldfinch, I think they look really tropical and exotic for a UK bird, but my favourite bird personality wise is a pied wagtail, I have the treat of them visiting when it snows. So what is your favourite bird/birds? (Photos are very welcome) Thanks, Ellis 

Looks wise: Goldfinch 

Personality wise: Pied Wagtail 

• ellis187 said:
    Is that a very small crab or a big gull haha?

Herring gulls are respectably sized birds - their wingspans can go up to 5 feet across.  They certainly dwarf anything in my garden, even the crows.

• My favourite group of birds is certainly Raptors, I've been watching and recording them for over 50 years, it takes me out often into hill and moorland country which is where I always feel at homer. Second group would be Corvids, often classed as rubbish birds or even vermin in some quarters but to me they are so fascinating to watch and such great opportunists.

• I’d seen them at the seaside before but I didn’t realise they were that big. I guess size can be quite hard to judge at distance, it’s a shame that they’re thought of so negatively. I’m only 5 minutes away from the furthest place from the sea in England but I have seen some black headed and lesser black backed gulls flying over though. Thanks, Ellis
  • Since I’m a pretty new to birding, do raptors class as all birds of prey? (e.g. buzzards and hawks). If so, I really do agree with you there, attractive but equally intimidating birds. Before I started, I didn’t think I had many in my area, but there’s lots of them; I see buzzards and sparrowhawks soaring over daily (I watched a sparrowhawk attack a pigeon’s nest the other day). It’s also quite interesting to read about the intelligence of corvids, a shame for their negative reputation. Amazes me that they are classed as some of the most intelligent animals, you can definitely see that in their behaviour. Thanks, Ellis
  • Since I’m a pretty new to birding, do raptors class as all birds of prey? (e.g. buzzards and hawks). If so, I really do agree with you there, attractive but equally intimidating birds. Before I started, I didn’t think I had many in my area, but there’s lots of them; I see buzzards and sparrowhawks soaring over daily (I watched a sparrowhawk attack a pigeon’s nest the other day). It’s also quite interesting to read about the intelligence of corvids, a shame for their negative reputation. Amazes me that they are classed as some of the most intelligent animals, you can definitely see that in their behaviour. Thanks, Ellis
  • A goldfinch landed when I was gardening the other week back (planting some sunflowers), it was amazing the noise that was produced whilst it flew. Obviously, the goldfinch song is equally as great.
  • A goldfinch landed when I was gardening the other week back (planting some sunflowers), it was amazing the noise that was produced whilst it flew. Obviously, the goldfinch song is equally as great.
  • ellis187 said:
    Since I’m a pretty new to birding, do raptors class as all birds of prey? (e.g. buzzards and hawks)

Raptors and owls constitute birds of prey.  Corvids are very interesting and intelligent birds - they are omnivorous, like gulls.

• That's a real toughie for me, each species has its own beauty and character. But, I'd probably list the ones I don't get to see all that often, long tail tit, kingfisher, jay, little grebe, kestrel, just for starters.