Couple from the other day in garden

Nice to see the blue sky again.   

Just the sparrow looking cute

Then along came the Wren

Later on in the day I walked into my kitchen and thought what's that on the gate, pretty good hiding place

I like it's stance.

Quite well hidden, I noticed the garden was bare of birds so left if there until about five mins later three goldies perched up on the wire, wanting to come in for their last meal of the day, so I walked slowly out and he left by the lane entrance and one goldie flew too so I hope it survived.

Have a good evening all.

• Typical thought process from the Sprawk, thinking if it hides its face the rest of it will become invisible as well! I'm not sure why one foot is up like that though but it is a good pose!
  • Well spotted Gaynor, sneaky sprawk waiting in ambush mode and silencing the garden; good to see the sparrow and little wren and hope the goldie got away although I still feel sorry for the hungry sparrowhawk who maybe got his takeaway from another area leaving your garden birds in peace.
  • I love when the spawks stand like that on one foot lol..sneaky...mine was at the pond today and i was busy making raw pastry!! Only got 1 pic!! Lovely to see wee jenny wren and blue skies
  • Brilliant photos Gaynor, and many thanks for the reminder of what a blue sky looks like.

Its been darker than battleship grey here for over a week now....   Cry

• Unknown said:
    Typical thought process from the Sprawk, thinking if it hides its face the rest of it will become invisible as well! I'm not sure why one foot is up like that though but it is a good pose!

Its amazing how many species do that exact same thing, hide the face and eyes to become invisible....

Even very young children do the same, we used to laugh at our son when he did just that while being told off....

• Thanks all, yes it was good to see the lovely blue sky the other day, just wish the breeze would decide to warm up as it was pretty nippy today when I walked out with Sue. She doesn't mind whatever the weather, and makes me grin when I reach home again and she slows down and pretends to miss the gateway, she would walk a further mile or two. Two miles down to the beach and back, sorry no photos as tide was in and sea empty!! and she still wanted more!! Dogs, birds, they all have their clever ways of showing us they are the brightest tool in the box, is that the right saying? I don't know how they put up with us humans:-)
  • Very Good Gaynore, That sparrow hawk is one crafty bird, Great Photos
  • I've had a Sparrow Hawk hiding in pretty much the same way last summer, creeping through a hedge near the feeders and where a large number of House Sparrows live. I've never witnessed it have any luck but occasionally find evidence of success around the garden.

Good photos of a visitor that engenders such mixed feelings.

Trevor

• Hi Trevor
    It certainly has the art of concealment, well captured amongst all the branches.
  • I saw it through the kitchen window, which was open at the time and my camera near to hand, I never got a full view of it before it left empty beaked. Not long afterwards it was replaced by the handsome chap below, a nice day bird watching without leaving the kitchen.

Trevor