Bird of prey I.D

Hello all.

I was out on a walk this morning , when i saw this bird in a tree. I watched it for about 5 minutes before i had to move on. From the beginning i thought i was looking at a female Sparrowhawk , But when i returned home and looked in my books and online , i became doubtful . This bird doesn't really look like the images I've seen in my books etc. 

Seeing a Sparrowhawk is a big deal for me , as i think I've only seen 1 before. Now I'm not sure if that's what it was , or if it could be anything else. The closest I've seen in my books is a female Hen Harrier - but i can't believe it would be one of those. 

I'm still leaning to a ( possibly young ) Female Sparrowhawk , but I would really love your opinions. 

By the way - I'm a caveman when it comes to technology. My attempt to resize  the pictures nearly cost me a new monitor! 

Any tips on this would be appreciated - but i don't want to burden anyone!

Everyone stay safe

Tony

• Looks like a Buzzard to me Tony. Sorry to say definitely not a female sparrowhawk

(Pardon the Scottish Accent)

• A female Sparrowhawk that visits my garden often....

(Pardon the Scottish Accent)

• Yes, I agree with you Linda, definitely has the markings of the Buzzard.

Lot to learn

• Silly me!
    Now you say it - of course!
    I didn't even consider a Buzzard as it looked so slim, and all the ones i see seem so chunky!

Thanks for your views.

Tony
  • Tonetastic said:

By the way - I'm a caveman when it comes to technology. My attempt to resize  the pictures nearly cost me a new monitor!  Any tips on this would be appreciated - but i don't want to burden anyone!

**You can make your pics present larger by altering the dimensions in media boxes ... 600 for first box & leave second box blank ... make sure your pics are less than 4mb, usually can be reduced in camera photo editor ... without crashing your computer!**

2013 photos & vids here

eff37 on Flickr

• Yes as said Common Buzzard and a very nice bird to see, we are on the edge of the countryside and see or hear them most days. I'm with you Tony when technology I'm certainly in the stone ages turn it on and hope sort of computer skills.

Pete

Birding is for everyone no matter how good or bad we are at it,enjoy it while you can