Highlights of Recent Lockdown Walks in Suffolk

Still wandering the local paths and country roads in an approximate 3 mile circle of our house, the nice solid frozen footpaths have gone back to mud so doing more road work, but there is still plenty to see. The photos of Hares, Roe Deer, Tree Creeper, Yellowhammer, Fieldfares, Goldcrest and Kestrel were all taken standing by the side of the road.

These first 4 were all taken just behind where I live.

The rest were taken right by the side of the road, the Tree Creeper, Goldcrest  and Kestrel were very close and obliging, the rest especially the Hares and Deer were a long way off as you might expect. One particular road is very good for views of Hares and we have seen up to 11 in one field.

Can you spot the extras in the Deer Pics and see the colour variation in one of the Fieldfares?

Good luck on your trips out and take care.

Trevor

• Mike,
    It's a catch 22 situation trying to keep shutter speed high. I've ultimately settled for A mode because I can change ISO directly on a dial on the back and if I go past 3200 there isn't enough light anyway.
    After 3 years with the camera I've just found out that if I thumb the dial to Auto ISO it will use a pre-set minimum shutter speed which works in A,S or P mode. It' whatever you're most comfortable with I suppose.
    I wonder how many more useful features I have yet to discover on my camera.
  • TJS said:
    Mike,

It's a catch 22 situation trying to keep shutter speed high. I've ultimately settled for A mode because I can change ISO directly on a dial on the back and if I go past 3200 there isn't enough light anyway.
    After 3 years with the camera I've just found out that if I thumb the dial to Auto ISO it will use a pre-set minimum shutter speed which works in A,S or P mode. It' whatever you're most comfortable with I suppose.
    I wonder how many more useful features I have yet to discover on my camera.

Yes it can be very much a catch 22.

While high ISO images can become grainy, if you've been used to film cameras, the issue of grainy images at higher ISO's isn't quite so prevalent.

It is very much what you're comfortable with vs what you want to achieve, and if you're comfortable with it, there's no harm in that.

As for features, you're very right. If I use 10% of the features on any camera, that is probably as much as I will ever use.

The important thing is, enjoy the hobby.

• Hello Hazel,

You liked the winter Thrushes so here some more from Minsmere a couple of years back.

Trevor

• Just beautiful Trevor, the shots with the berries, especially the 2nd last one, stands out, well done and thanks for sharing your lovely snaps.
  • Thanks Trevor, these are beautiful additions of the two winter thrushes enjoying the berries on offer. Not long before they head back to Scandinavia, Russia, Iceland etc., be sad to see them go but then we have to remember that the warblers like Willow, Sedge, Reed, etc., will be back for summer :)
  • Excellent pictures Trevor, could be a good Spring, look forward to seeing the pics from everyone.