Proposed white-tailed eagle reintroduction to Norfolk

As I'm sure you're aware, a proposed reintroduction a few years ago was rejected because of howling farmers. 

I was delighted- and surprised- to find out that farmers in the local region actually supported bringing back the eagle at the Ken Hill estate, which had already brought back beavers. Major landowners expressed their support for the project as well- which could help reduce the amount of canada geese and rabbits. When the project is given the green light, about 6 to 12 young birds will be released every year in the hope of establishing a self-sustaining breeding population, like those in Scotland and the Isle of Wight:

www.theguardian.com/.../farmers-back-plan-to-reintroduce-white-tailed-eagle-to-norfolk

Reintroducing birds of prey due to the requests of farmers is quite unprecedented- but an excellent move. 

Currently there are many other reintroduction proposals of native wildlife which was once lost. The white stork and the beavers have already been thankfully brought back. The eagle owl was not reintroduced but seems to have escaped to establish breeding populations, just like the goshawk is suspected to have done in Breckland and which now calls Thetford forest home. I even saw the enormous birds once there. An unprecedented great bustard reintroduction is also showing promising signs. Introducing these flagship species will both earn a lot of money (Mull apparently earns millions every year due to the eagles), as well as establishing more nature protection areas. 

In addition there are now proposals to bring back the:

- Lynx, of which there were many proposals  to bring back, all shot down by farmers. However, a landowner in Scotland seems to be doing what someone should have done a long time ago: putting their foot down and doing it, bringing them, as well as even wolves (all yet in the planning stage) to his private fenced-off estate. Farmers should be reassured that due to the enormous amount of red deer in Scotland destroying the Caledonian forests, the lynx will be too busy to even notice their animals. 

-Dalmatian pelican, which became extinct in 43AD. It is hoped to bring them back to Norfolk/Suffolk. A very convincing case for that was set out in 'Rebirding' - Benedict Macdonald

-Bison, which are going to be reintroduced in 2022

Everyone knows about the major succesfull reintroductions (Eagle, bustard, etc.) , but there are a few others which I want to mention:

-Reindeer, brought back from extinction in 1952

-Moose, brought back by Paul Lister to Alladale despite criticism, I was delighted he did it in spite of that. Moose went extinct several thousand years ago

-Corncrake, brought back to the Nene Washes and Wensum Valley, now there is a massive amount of criticism which is thankfully being ignored.

-Osprey, brought back to Rutland Water and Poole Harbour, again criticised but thankfully ignored as well.

-Cranes, planned to be reintroduced all over the place but causes uproar in the birdwatching community, so much that enraged birdwatchers even boycotted a cereal company supporting the project. Fortunately being ignored as well. 

However, this doesn't come without some other, more sombre notes:

-Golden oriole, last seen for the whole summer in 2015 at Lakenheath and 2018 in the UK, now considered extinct

-Montagu's harrier- last bred in 2019, only one pair at Salisbury plain, did not breed in 2020

-Hen harrier- Reintroduction plans shot down by RSPB