Amphibians & Reptiles 2021

Amphibians & Reptiles 2020  HERE

Probably a little too early in the year to start this years thread and although I don't have any photos to show you due to these creatures still being in hibernation mode I was talking to the parkland manager and he was telling me that work to repair a Grade II listed wall by our water garden apartments was suspended when Great Crested Newts were spotted there and as a protected species they will wait until they emerge from hibernation and move to the water before the wall restoration will commence again.     I was thrilled to hear we had such a rare and large species of newt right on our doorstep !    I've never seen one (to my knowledge) so will have to keep a keen eye out from March - October.       

• Unknown said:

Amphibians & Reptiles 2020  HERE

Probably a little too early in the year to start this years thread and although I don't have any photos to show you due to these creatures still being in hibernation mode I was talking to the parkland manager and he was telling me that work to repair a Grade II listed wall by our water garden apartments was suspended when Great Crested Newts were spotted there and as a protected species they will wait until they emerge from hibernation and move to the water before the wall restoration will commence again.     I was thrilled to hear we had such a rare and large species of newt right on our doorstep !    I've never seen one (to my knowledge) so will have to keep a keen eye out from March - October.       

Thank you for setting up the 2021 thread, and bookmarked for when things get going here.

• You'll have to practise your night-time photography (under water) for the courtship Hazy, though hopefully you'll see them once they start moving towards the breeding area. I wonder if that is at night too. I think most of the Amphibian hunts take place at night. I've usually given them a miss, too afraid of putting my foot in a hole & breaking something.
  • Good luck with the newt hunt!!
    I think it will need to be a hunt because in my experience, spotting a newt on land is exceptionally rare if you are not actively searching them out, as they hide during the day. I'm lucky for being in a GCN stronghold, where many/most pools seem to have them (and indeed all three UK species) but I've never seen one by chance. Only when I've actively tracked them down. Even to find newts in wild ponds when you know they are there is not easy - you might need to watch the margins for ages to get a glimpse of one disappearing under weed and under those circumstances ID is tricky at best! Mind you, it's great when you do find one, even if most of the time you can't tell which of the three it is!
  • Methinks I need that underwater camera and night-vision binoculars;     the GCN's are hibernating in a wall which is inaccessible on water-side and adjoining private apt. on lower ground level owned by premiership footballer - so security will be extra vigilant LOL Only chance is to see them from t'other side of the water unless I can get closer when they reconstruct the grade II wall in springtime and on the construction side of the works ;) I may never seen one even though they are only metres away from where I live !

• Thanks for the new thread, Hazel. Good luck seeing those newts. You could always fill in the time waiting by watching them on nature programmes on the telly or find a few YouTube clips! That is the only way I have ever seen one, more's the pity.
  • Sooooo, Frogs here obviously heard it was Valentine's Day albeit a little late to the party!

Canoodling pair in these dodgy pics taken through kitchen window, went outside for better clarity but they nicked off!

She looks full of eggs!

• Not much social-distancing there, still looks like they are in the same Bubble! LOL
  • It didn't take long after the thaw for those two to get started! There's still lots of ice on the ponds here, although it is melting. I'm guessing we'll be on track for the same timescale as last year, end of Feb/beginning of Mar before they get down to it.
  • Mick very carefully lifted off big slab of ice yesterday (I give him all the best jobs), lo & behold these two appeared up close & very personal ... as my Niece remarked 'Goodness, they dont muck about! Joy Practically still defrosting lol