Friendly Robin.

Had a walk round my local lake yesterday and cam across a Robin on a busy track with lots of people walking passed on a busy day and cars and tractors anyway it came out and was looking friendly so me being me started to talk to it and said I was sorry for not having any food with me but it was so friendly I had to call up again today and I found it in the same place but this time I had seed and home made pastry with me I held out my hand and it came down but just grabbed something so I started to talk to it and it came back and stayed on my have eating some of the small seeds it came four times so knowing it was full I put some food on the ground and left, I will be going back as often as I can but with live mealworm as well, I will take some pictures and a video if it lets me :)

• James G said:
    Thank you Hazel, it would have been nice to go to LM for the Robins they had just opened all the tracks to, It was the 5D I took I still think the 5DMk4 is better then the R6 but this R6 should be great for BIF shots. And when I am out and about were people are I am always upwind so nothing hopefully comes my way sadly we might be on total

It was Mike, and I stopped feeding the birds here so gave what I had to my Sister but kept some back for the small birds I mix it with the pasty and stick it in crevices on the tree even the Grey likes it too.

I'm still a little sceptical on mirrorless, I feel the technology isn't quite there yet, but its damned close, and I still feel it is the future.

My doubts are on the image view time lag due to processors not quite being up to the mark for action shots. Landscapes only or portraits, I'd probably have one tomorrow, but not yet for wildlife, there's still a bit more refinement required.

So my 5D4 is safe for a while longer yet.

BTW, Mrs PR has filled my two pocket sized tubs with bird seed, only for us to enter lockdown again!

Typical....

• Hi Jim thanks for your message. it probably looks a bit lower than it really is but I did wonder if it was too low. I have attached another photo here which shows more perspective. We don’t usually get any cats luckily but perhaps I should move it before nesting season if it’s vulnerable. They seem to have enjoyed it over the winter so far. Nor sure if they are playing in it hopping in and out or checking it out for a potential nest but then go in and out of f it every morning! It’s very lovely to watch! 

• @ Mike. At 20 frames a second I don't see the lag they have improved this with new Firmwares and now I have just found another thing to improve on my picture taking but just need a day when I can get out on my own and I won't be getting rid of my 5DMk4 its a fantastic camera the picture will be hard to beat but the R6 should be good for BIF and other things as well.

@ Robyn, that is higher then what I though it was you could get some green plastic netting and cut it to make like a box to put over it just to keep the cats away even though you say you usually don't get them better safe then sorry.
  • James G said:
    @ Mike. At 20 frames a second I don't see the lag they have improved this with new Firmwares and now I have just found another thing to improve on my picture taking but just need a day when I can get out on my own and I won't be getting rid of my 5DMk4 its a fantastic camera the picture will be hard to beat but the R6 should be good for BIF and other things as well.

Noted on that James, and 20fps is quite some frame rate, far in excess of the 5D4!

• @James thank you for your advice. I’ll do that as I don’t want them to be at risk. When completing my bird watch count today I saw the robins mating. I’m surprised they were mating this early in the year.  A blurry photo attached! 

• Wow! That really is early for mating. Well captured. You might get to see Courtship Feeding if you're lucky. If you can get live mealworms or wax worms, that will help them stay healthy.
  • Lovely thread, pics, and comments, Jim, thanks, and thank to everyone else for their pics and comments. Robins are great and I love that they sing in the dark of winter nights, too.