Friendly Robin.

Had a walk round my local lake yesterday and cam across a Robin on a busy track with lots of people walking passed on a busy day and cars and tractors anyway it came out and was looking friendly so me being me started to talk to it and said I was sorry for not having any food with me but it was so friendly I had to call up again today and I found it in the same place but this time I had seed and home made pastry with me I held out my hand and it came down but just grabbed something so I started to talk to it and it came back and stayed on my have eating some of the small seeds it came four times so knowing it was full I put some food on the ground and left, I will be going back as often as I can but with live mealworm as well, I will take some pictures and a video if it lets me :)

• Hi James thank you so much for your advice. I heard about mealworms but I had wondered how to store them. I’ll have to give it a try! That video is wonderful. What a beautiful close up of the robin singing and feeding. That must have been an amazing experience, thank you for sharing it with me. I’ll let you know of I have any luck with getting to robins to trust me more! :)
  • I got some more but more this time so they come in a sack, find a plastic bowl and put them in this they won't be able to climb out then they would if you left them in the sack, they are very clean and don't smell you could cover the tube bowl with a cloth to stop any flys that might be still around they are that clean I have them in the bedroom near the widow, and if you keep them they do have to poo so I just get a hand full and put them in a sieve were the dust gets through but the worms don't do this outside, put them back into a clean tub and give them some more food, I have kept a few back before now and bred my own but it takes a long time so don't do it now I will take a few picture showing you how I store mine.
  • Just beautiful Jim, he certainly sang for his mealies and 9 of them!
  • Thank you CT, once they get to know you they will come to you Hazel, knows how friendly they can get.
  • Three pictures showing how I store my mealworms, if I wanted to make them last longer you can put them in the fridge not freezer this will slow them down and can last weeks till you need to take some out.

• Hi Jim

That’s very kind of you to share these photos. It’s  really helpful to see how you have stored them and feed them etc.

I’ll give it a go and let you know how I get on :)

I bought this Simon King Robin nester and the two robins that visit together have been hopping in and out every morning! I’m so pleased they seem to like it.

I’m hoping they are using it for roosting and will nest in it in the spring. 

I’m sure they are more likely to stay with a new menu of mealworms! 

Thanks again for all your help.

• Hi James, loved the Video, it’s great when they pose and sing to you at the same time, I had one two days ago while out for my daily walk it flew really close to me in a tree and as I stood watching it, it was singing away, I didn’t unfortunately have my phone or my camera or mealworms with me, after looking at this video perhaps I should.
    Lovely Video Jim well done and lovely to see.

• Your welcome Robyn, how high is the nest off the grond it looks low down? a bit late now but let the bush grow over it to hide it a little more its out in the open so any predator might see them useing it and I hope you don't have cats visiting your garden.
  • Thank you ILR, they are my favourite bird and I did vote for it and it won the other year :) shame you never had anything to record it singing they love to show off and its a nice song too.
  • Maybe next time James ? Hopefully.