Odds & Sods 2021

Time to start this year's thread of odds and sods    (Last year's Odds & Sods HERE

Today a large flock of 40 or so Redwings descended on the fields around our local parkland and although they were pretty skittish and distant I hard cropped a few pics for you ....

and a blue tit landed nearby  !   

• I have noticed recently that our local Robins have changes their song and now singing what we think of as a more wistful winter song. Still great to hear though but it means Summer is over and Autumn has arrived in the natural world.
  • Taking a bit of time out from various tasks, and enjoying the sun in the garden for a change.

One of a pair of collared doves, that are regular visitors to the garden.

A juvenile goldfinch on the sunflower seeds

Go on kidda, get stuck in....

A buzzard gracefully flying overhead

Please sir, can I have some more?

I wish the human would go away....

Pesky mites....

• Ok, I got interrupted by a very important phone call, nothing serious, and all sorted.

The important part, the photos I never managed to upload.....

The fish in the pond have also been enjoying the sun (and probably won't pose or me again if I omit them Joy)

I'm forever blowing bubbles....

With jaws like that approaching, that poor food pellet didn't stand a chance!

Gone!

•  I was sitting on the banks of the River Severn when the Canada Geese began to circle again, then again, and again. I must have taken 50 photos until I caught them, almost, in focus. Amazing to watch and at one stage, I was certain that a Swan joined in. 

• A few pics from Leasowe, Wirral

assuming this is a Lesser Black-backed Gull 

Pied Wagtail .

Black-headed.Gull

Distant shot of a House Martin who will be migrating south in the next month to overwinter in Africa .......   

starling numbers building up .................

• Feeding the fish before the days tasks start....

These photos were taken using the 100-400 lens plus circular polarising filter to reduce the sunlight on the water surface.

Cue Jaws theme....

Always well behaved, no squabbling ever seen.....

After the days tasks were done, I had an hour or so free late yesterday afternoon, so pitched up on the patio, and being so hot, didn't expect anything, but it was good to sit outside.

I think, a drone fly, corrections are always welcome, though hoverflies were around.

Honeybee

A hoverfly

Someone's got a messy bum! Astonished 

Time to buzz off....

The fairies have made a flying visit!

it was a gloriously hot and sunny day, though I'd grab a couple before the cloud and showers return....

To the east

and to the west (star 6 filer used)

We don't get many moths here, or at least I don't see many, except on the trailcams at night, so it was a pleasant surprise to see this white-shouldered house moth sunning itself on the grass....

I was just about to pack away and have a shower, when I heard some rustling behind me....

and not long afterwards, decided to take the plunge and feed from the feeder about 1.5 mtrs away from me. I should have had my bribery pot with me....

• Ooooo, I managed to get a shot of the lightening yesterday

It was a pretty dramatic hour or two 

• Blimey you were quick on the draw Caroline :-)
  •     Inspired by Hazel’s wonderful images of Stonechats by the coast, I headed to The Malverns, a place at which they tend to be located at most times of the year. It was great to see so many, and at various stages of plumage Slight smile

• Can't have too many Stonechats, such fabulous little birds. Lovely pics Kevin.