Odds & Sods 2021

• In reply to HAZY:

HAZY said:
    The foxes seem to be regular visitors as your picking up plenty of night activity from them and I see Cyril is still doing his acrobatic impressions lol Nice to have hoggies in the garden too.

Foxes have been regular visitors here for many years. During my working days it wasn't unusual for me to startle a fox as I was about to set off for work.

Mike

Flickr Peak Rambler

• More fox and Cyril activity, or should I say: "More fox activity and Cyril antics...."

• As a fox comes in searching for food, the hedgehog goes in to defensive mode, curled in a ball while a fox feeds very close by. The hedgehog (same one as in the earlier photos) is most likely as juvenile, at a little over 100mm long

Mike

Flickr Peak Rambler

• With a day of warm sunshine we decided on another trip to Astbury Mere as its only 20 minutes away from home

Didn't take "Cyrilla" long to find the crushed peanuts !

Nom...nom.... nom 

just opposite Cyrilla  there was a friendly robin who was lucky enough to receive live mealworms which I had taken with me !

other robin photos on "Robins for MC" thread

I always take swan/duck food with me,  half the reason is to educate folk not to feed bread to the waterfowl !      It was heartening to see a little girl with her mother feeding the swans and cygnets with the proper duck/swan biscuits 

Here's one of the adult mute Swans

and one of its two remaining offspring out on the mere ......

I took the camera today to get a pic of the ringed Coot .......... I'll update when I get information back on it

a rather tatty looking Dunnock in mid moult;    think it had just bathed and was drying out in the sunshine when I spotted it

an endearing little lollipop    :)     

and house sparrow peeping out of the same tree .....

and finally a late Brimstone 

Regards, Hazel 

"Each kindness shown to birds or men is sure to flutter back again" 

• Nice pictures from your day out Hazel, good that you had some sunshine as well.

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder.

• We had a great afternoon at a nearby Y W T reserve and among other sightings we caught up with a Great White Egret that has been avoiding us for a while. It is colour ringed and originated at RSPB reserve at Ham Wall and has been in our area for a few weeks but never at the same place as us at the right time. We spent quite a while watching it feed on small fish

Pete

Birding is for everyone no matter how good or bad we are at it,enjoy it while you can

•   A couple from the garden  

•  And from a walk along the river. Lovely out there at the moment

• In reply to HAZY:

Nice photos Hazel and the sun made an appearance for you as well.

Mike

Flickr Peak Rambler

• Not a lot to add, apart from our regular visiting collared doves.

This one had put a few wood pigeon noses out of joint, it was in the seed tray for a good long time, and the woopies will not challenge the collared doves after a skirmish earlier this year, and the CD's took control.

Keeping up to scratch...

What's the human doing?

Might be time to make a sharp exit....

What was that noise?

As some workmen across the road started up their machinery to continue footpath replacement works

Off it goes....

Mike

Flickr Peak Rambler

• Love those Collared Dove photos. They were the first bird I ever went on a twitch for back in 1960 when they were super rare in the UK, It wasn't called twitching then and I cannot remember how we heard of this rare bird before bird lines and social media.

Pete

Birding is for everyone no matter how good or bad we are at it,enjoy it while you can