First Winter Dusting

Woke up to a light dusting of snow this morning

Beautiful.....

Thank goodness I cleaned and filled all the feeders yesterday.

Hope you enjoy looking at my birds in their winter wonderland

BBs always in garden early

Oh dear a think a sprawk may have been at my loveley white pigeon Hushed

A bit of iceskating

No very happy looking dunnock

An ICE bath

And perhaps my 2020  xmas card

Well that was a great day of taking pics. Another weather warning for snow tonight.

Hope you all enjoyed and maybe its put you all in the mood for Christmas now  Wink

• Us Caithnesians are made of tough stuff Linda! I thought yesterday morning was bad, last night it looked like a light shower of snow had fallen, it was hard frost, poked my nose out at bedtime and what an earie feeling, white with no wind and you could hear the waves (beach and harbour about 1 mile away) I really thought the noise was helicopters and was looking for the search lights! Pouring rain this morning, good job as I was lazy and never garaged the car so was all set to get out early to scrape!

• lol sounds amazing creepy CL...I was out at midnight last night and no snow just hard frost as you say but got up this morning to a few cms of the white stuff!

Was lovely

• Lovely photos again Linda.

Did the blackbird break the ice, for the ice bath, or was it thin and slowly thawing?

As for the cutthroat pigeon, it could have been a rival pigeon. We had one some time back that bludgeoned its beak into another pigeon, which I'm pleased to say survived, but still looks a little (but less so) manky where the attack took place.

• Cheers Mike,

It was my big boots that broke the ice a few hours before the bathing took place Wink
    The ice was pretty thin though

Never thought about another pigeon doing that sort of damage but happy to say the white one is healing well
  • Having a few minutes to spare, I'm catching up with some threads I have missed. Thinking of your snow, Linda, a few centimetres of snow here in the balmy south would bring things to a grinding halt! I must be living in the wrong part of the country since I actually prefer winter temperatures below freezing rather than just above! It is far easier to keep warm when the frost has reduced the moisture content of the air--just wrap up in layers and you will stay warm as toast! (That is as warm as a slice of toast which has definitely not had the cruel traditional treatment of cooling and drying in a toast rack--lol! Was that a tradition which travelled down the social scale from stately homes where toast was made in the kitchen which was miles away from the breakfast room?!) When the air temperature is just above freezing, the moist cold gets straight in, right to the bone--brrrr!
  • Looks beautiful Linda, despite the fact it makes me shiver when I see how cold it looks .... brrrghhhh !
  • Just catching up myself here Ann...time flies at this time if year! Always tea and toast to start the day...cant say I have ever even seen a toast rack other than on Antiques roadshow lol.
  • Thanks Hazel...it was beautiful but seems so long ago now just rain rain rain now !!!