Birds and sunsets in the park

These are taken over a few days in a relatively new large park near me that has parts still being landscaped. I don't often get many Fieldfares locally ... but I've come across a small group this year in this park. If only they could be persuaded to come down from the heights of their favourite tree (the tallest in the middle of a long hawthorn hedge) and save me a crooked neck! Still, at least that's better than the Redwings in the same flock who won't pose for love or money at the moment!!

There are a few scrapes and shallow ponds, which often attracts a large gull roost.

In this case, an immature Herring Gull

Probably an even younger one, although it might be a Lesser Black-back - it's difficult to tell from the underside but my money is on HG. Either way, the low winter light is great for this sort of shot.

I wasn't expecting a pair of Ravens to fly by, although they are up on the moors just a few miles away. Goodness knows what this one has dredged up from the mud.

One of the park's highlights are its Kestrels. I always see them somewhere, but usually on grey days when photographing them doesn't give the best results. This one obliged by dropping below the horizon, making for much better pics.

I was actually pretty close. It's just a pity it was facing the other way!

I could also see a female sitting off to one side but they don't quarrel over hunting spots even in winter.

And then, a couple of days ago, we had a truly stunning sunset.

Typically, I hadn't taken the landscape lens and had to resort to the phone. Fortunately, my phone allows you to treat it as a camera, adjusting ISO, aperture, speed, even white balance, etc so I didn't get lost!

• That happend to me the other week Nigel, as I had set off to go home, I had packed my equipment away and as i turned a corner a kestral was hovering around 10 feet from the ground about 20m away. Unfortunatley by the time I had got my camera out again it had flown off. It must have been camera shy.
  • The birds have a secret society that organises all this, I'm sure of it. I've lost track of the times I've put the camera away in the car boot only to find a Treecreeper or Nuthatch appear in the tree next to the car, while I'm changing my boots! The only possible explanation is that we are being watched!!!
  • Thats for sure Nigel, When I am in my lounge and i pass the window I always look into the garden at the feeders to see if there is any birds on them and if i am too close to the window they disappear, so now i stand well back from the window. I wish my eyesite was as good.
  • More wonderful photos, Nigel, thanks! Especially love the sunsets, but all the birds are gorgeous as well. Great shots of the Kestrel, even if it was facing the wrong way. Did not know that Ravens might use mud in their nests or for their Christmas ornaments, for that matter, but I'm afraid mud will not feature in our Christmas decorations.

Edit:  At least for this year...