Reservoir Ducks!!!

No, not a new Tarantino film but from several days ago, when we had proper weather and I took the camera duck hunting on a local reservoir. You'll find out why later! First an immature Black-headed Gull apparently in need of a hairdresser.

There's a disused canal running by the reservoir and you know I like colourful reflections ...

I can't resist photos bursting with bright colours 

A Sparrowhawk made a mad dash across the path in front of me on the path back to the reservoir. Too quick for me, sadly, so no photo Rage However, I was really after a particular duck and it takes time to find just one amongst the crowds, but I was fortunate. It was happily posing in the best place possible.

A first winter male Scaup, close to shore, in the sunshine, in the part with nice colours reflecting off the water. Couldn't ask for better when you've gone to see if it was still around

Going under ...

And with lovely Autumn colours

• I was wondering if Hazy and Mike were taking their annual leave PB:-), they probably need a rest after moving into their new home. It gets pretty quiet around this time of the year with the birds as well as us humans so now is just the right time to put feet up. Just guessing as I haven't heard anything.
  • Unknown said:
    if we did, where would you like to go in addition to LM? I'm hoping there will be nesting Ospreys near Poole Harbour next year (near RSPB Arne), Minsmere is lovely anytime of year, and we usually visit Frampton Marsh before and/or after Birdfair in August, north Norfolk is lovely...oh, there are so many choices.

I wouldn't insist on LM as it's a regular spot for me anyway (at least under normal conditions)! We aren't a big group, but I think we need a big reserve with several hides or we'll hog the spot and somewhere with Summer highlights or change the time! Personally, I want to visit all the places you've mentioned and Minsmere obviously fits all the requirements but I don't know about the facilities at Arne or Frampton. I think North Norfolk is maybe better for birds outside of Summer ... but I'm not that knowledgeable on it, either! 

I did think about Bempton for the Gannets and Puffins, but without hides it's probably too weather dependant to book a long time in advance.

• A lovely selection of photos Nige, and the weather seemed to have been good, allowing the colours to shine through.

• Nigel, PB, Gaynor, and anyone else interested, I've had a note from Hazel and here is her message for Forumates:
    "Sorry I have been absent recently from the forum and Ann informs me that one or two of you are wondering why I dropped off the radar suddenly ......
    Mike and I are currently dealing with a medical emergency as a recent biopsy on Mike showed up cancerous cells on part of his tongue and we are about to embark on the first step of a very scary ladder. Hopefully things have been caught early enough for successful treatment but only an MRI/CT scan this week will reveal the next course of action. It will be a very busy time for us over the next weeks/months but once I am able to I will re-join the community forum. As you can imagine it feels very surreal as we take on this frightening journey but fingers crossed and with your positive vibes hopefully we come out of this nightmare eventually, until then dear friends, stay safe and keep up the good work on the forum. XX Hazy and Mike"
  • Hi Ann, thank you for the update. If/when you're in contact again please pass on my very best wishes, and everything crossed for a good outcome and speedy recovery
  • Oh dear, I hope the cancerous growth has been caught in time.

Not a pleasant time to be in hospital, particularly as visiting is restricted in these times.

Fingers crossed from here for a good outcome, for them both.

• Hi Ann please pass on my best wishes to Mike and Hazel and I would like to wish Mike a speedy recovery.
  • Thanks, everyone, I'll pass on your good wishes to Hazel and Mike. They certainly have had a mixed and difficult year--moving to a lovely new place, but many problems have cropped up and now this on top of Covid..
  • Thanks for putting that up, Ann. I've since been in touch with Hazy to pass on my good wishes.
  • Thanks, Nigel. Fingers crossed Mike's condition has been caught early enough.