Out yesterday at high tide on the beach

Could this be a Whimbrel?

Getting a little fed up with encroaching water

No walking along there today

The lane at the far end is usually where I come down to look at the beach - I hadn't checked the tide book before starting out, good thing I came around to walk on the other side.

Not sure what a few of these waders are, can anyone put a name to them?   No. 1

No. 2

I did too many yesterday so will only put a couple more today

I thought these were pintail but they have red legs??

Any id's would be good, thanks

Gaynor

• gaynorsl said:
    they would have been flying low - apparently!!!

Don't you believe it Gaynor, the experts say that to to make you feel daft when you don't hear/see what they say is there lol

And nice pics BTW :o) I agree with Hazel though, get out whilst you can!!

• Excellent photos, Gaynor. I just wish we had Curlews in Berkshire. So sorry you are going to be confined to barracks on Friday for a couple of weeks. When will this nightmare ever end.
  • Thanks to all who have replied, and yes we are indeed closed down from Friday once more, won't affect me too much though as I am not going out anyway except to walk Sue, and can walk down to the beach luckily or just stay around the local fields, I'm very lucky. Just miss my ukulele groups and table tennis, but try to stay positive and look forward to next year when we surely will get life back on it's axis and we will all have a future again.
  • Gaynor, Sorry to hear you are being locked down again, but at least you can still go for walks. Have you considered Zoom or Skype or something similar for your ukulele group?
  • Like you Gaynor, although we are still on Tier 2 (unlike Gr. Manchester who go into Tier 3 Friday) we are tending to stay close to home as we are also lucky to have such wonderful parkland around us with plenty of walks nearby. Today a bonus as we were told the Glasshouse (hi tech office rental) new office building which is ten minutes walk away has a café that office staff and residents can use which is very quiet with only a few office workers around even at lunchtime and they do great coffee and range of sandwich/wraps/baked potato/soup, etc., (and bacon or sausage ciabatta's for those who want !) It almost felt like back to normal life for half a hour as we called in after our local walk so think we'll be making good use of the nearby facilities; there is also a restaurant on the science park ..... and a new Gastro pub due to open (with usual restrictions) next month. It's bonus all round as we find our feet whilst being able to stay very local.  I love the cafe we found today as it employs only homeless people to operate the café and gives them training as Baristas for the coffee machine; although the prices are very very reasonable, profits go to the homeless so win win all round :)

• I will put a few more photos up from the other day down at the beach.   I had posted 19 but the message came up that there were too many and maximum is 5120 kb so I had to cut it down.

This egret was fishing in what is usually a small stream leading down to the beach

Sort of burst it's banks just to the left and flooded out onto the place where we park our cars on the beach.

At the top of the river it flooded into the field forming a pool for playing or snoozing in

This little one said "I'm dry up here".

I have more egret pics but maybe this is enough for now

Gaynor

• Thanks Ann and Hazy, yes we have been using zoom Ann throughout the lockdown but as it only works if we mute everybody except one singer it just isn't the same. I have to give out a warning each time I choose the songs as I haven't the range of voice for most of the tunes!!! but hey ho it's all good fun - or supposed to be.
    The Cafe nearby Hazy sounds wonderful, just right for a cuppa when you return from a walk or just to visit whenever you feel like getting out, and as you say the proceeds are all going to good causes, what with the area you have shown us and now Gastro pub etc you seem to have made a cracking choice of venue to live.
  • Hi

highest tides last couple of days until next year apparently -
    Time to walk the edges and kick out snipe :)

S

ps- I've tried but I can't play ukelele while doing table tennis :(
  • Hi S The trouble is the edges are up against the holiday cottages:-)

ps- I've tried but I can't play ukelele while doing table tennis :(

Shame, you need more practice!!!!