A few shots from Sunday.

We had wander around Aberlady on Sunday, one of our favourite places.

Starting off with a Curlew.

Lots of Pink-footed Geese taking off for the day in search of food.

This shot shows around a third of the birds present when we arrived. We were a bit later than usual in arriving, so I suspect there were quite a few more earlier on.

A lovely female Reed Bunting, one of my (many) favourite birds.

One of two Magpies annoying a female Sparrowhawk.

She saw them off, then did a lap of honour.

With a low level fly by just to rub it in.!! :-)

We didn't see many Deer, but this was one which we did manage to spot. A lovely female Roe Deer.

Over to Gullane point and looking over part of the bay.

Quite a few thing around here but not photographed. Grey Plover, Turnstone, Common and Velvet Scoter, Rock Pipit, Redshank.

A pair of Eider Duck just as we arrived at our favourite sandwich eating place.

Curlew fly by.

An Oystercatcher who was definitely checking me over.!! :-)

A young Black-headed Gull feeding in the surface.

Adult Black-headed Gull.

Adult Common Gull.

Shag fly by.

Hard cropped Red-throated Diver.

And a few Sanderling to finish off with.

The ringed bird in the next photo is a four year old bird, ringed on the isle of Sanday in the Orkneys. Interestingly, it's the same bird as I reported in December of last year.!!

There was another ringed bird possibly from a Dutch project (according to the guy from the Orkney project), but one of the flags appears to be broken off so I'm not sure if a positive ID will come back

As I mentioned earlier, one of our favourite places, and well worth a visit if you ever have the chance. :-)

• Wow. Fantastic set, Paul, especially the stunning sparrowhawk with the magpie! Love the eider pair as well ......... wish they'd come a bit further south.
  • Thanks, Clare.

Clare Bailey said:
    Love the eider pair as well ......... wish they'd come a bit further south.

Their calls during the breeding season are wonderful, very Frankie Howerd.

(Taken from bird call CD supplied with RSPB book of birds)

• Brilliant set of photos Paul, no wonder that is one of your favourite areas to get outdoors.      Well spotted on the R-t-D and the ringed Sanderling,  more difficult to spot these things when birds tuck one leg up into their body as so many waders do !   Interesting info it was the same bird as you saw last time.      What an amazing set of Sparrowhawk shots,  the corvids here are always chasing away the Buzzards.     I'm sure that Carrot-bill had his eye on your sandwich  lol       As for Frankie Howerd,  I've also heard him up at Seahouses - they are wonderful birds.     What a variety of species you saw, amazing really and love the pretty female R.Bunting. 

Going back through your gorgeous photos now to have another look again on full screen as I also need a pleasant distraction from the scaffolding that is currently being erected outside the side windows  !!   I'm been pressuring the developer to remove the gluey residue from the sticky labels that were once on the new windows !  We are so high up they have to build a tower so goodness knows what length water-fed window pole we need  !!       

• Great set of photos and birds Paul in what looks like my kind if landscape and to rub it in with sunshine!
  • Brilliant set of images, Paul, and a great variety of birds. The Magpie v Sparrowhawk encounter was a great capture. It looks a beautiful spot and a real breath of fresh air, literally.
  • Thanks all. It is a lovely place for a wander around, with something to see most of the time. We tend not to go so much in high summer, where like elsewhere' it can be very quiet on the wildlife front. The heat can be relentless here on a good summer's day, as opposed to an onshore wind in January or February. Brrrr.!!

Unknown said:
    We are so high up they have to build a tower so goodness knows what length water-fed window pole we need  !! 

Have you considered being lowered down on a rope from above? Just a suggestion.!! :-)

• Paul A said:
    HAZY said:
    We are so high up they have to build a tower so goodness knows what length water-fed window pole we need  !! 

Have you considered being lowered down on a rope from above? Just a suggestion.!! :-)

LOL Paul  !     Yes,  there is another way of reaching our windows to clean them with (abseiling) anchor points on the penthouse roof above us but I'm not volunteering    !!! 

• Fabulous photos Paul looks like you had a great day
  • Thanks, ILR, we always enjoy ourselves there.
  • Super pics from a super place by the looks of it Paul..Thanks for sharing Wink