The Waxwings are coming,the Waxwings are coming!

• Exciting news Alan, I hope we get a Waxwing winter. Three days ago I heard a distinct "chack" sounding calls and there were about three or four birds foraging in a tree above the undercroft garage - I dashed back upstairs to get the bins but phone rang and by the time I'd answered it the birds had moved on. I was pretty sure (although couldn't see them with my bad eyesight) they were likely to be Fieldfare passing through. They were larger than Redwing from what I could make out as they moved around the tree so it will be nice to have them and the Waxwings back again.

Regards, Hazel 

"Each kindness shown to birds or men is sure to flutter back again" 

• That's exciting news Alan. A waxwing winter would be great.
    My local group have been reporting on WhatsApp of quite large flocks of Redwing and a few Fieldfares arriving. Seems early so I wonder whether the berry crop in Scandinavia is not so good this year.

Regards,Tony

My Flickr Photostream 

• That's interesting Tony, I always look forward to the winter thrushes returning, makes up for the lack of warblers at this time of year. As you say maybe they are arriving back early due to the lack of berries in their breeding grounds. Hopefully a good year for Waxwings and the thrushes.

Regards, Hazel 

• We have Redwings here now, I saw 6 go over this morning.
    I've also seen on Twitter 250,000 on the move in Scandinavia, if I can find the video I'll post a link.

My Flickr photos

• Is that a bit early for the Waxwings? I thought it was nearer to December that we saw them, mind you that maybe the case by the time they get all the way up to me at the very top of Scotland!! The Redwings are another lovely bird, don't know if I have ever seen any Fieldfare, will keep a a look out now. Thanks Alan.

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder.

• Hope they come this way, mind you the Rowan berries are well gone, eaten back in July I believe. We have a few Hawthorn berries around if they like those.

Lot to learn

• In reply to Catlady:

Lynn L said:
    I thought it was nearer to December that we saw them, mind you that maybe the case by the time they get all the way up to me at the very top of Scotland!!

Think I last saw them in the month of January three years ago,    as for sightings,  you'll see them before we will CL if they are heading from Scandinavia or Russia and into UK down through Scotland (unless they shortcut through Holland and Norfolk)  !    so give us the thumbs up as they pass your house   lol     

Regards, Hazel 

• I spotted a dozen or so Fieldfares flying over this afternoon. :-)

My bird photos HERE

• I think I came upon a number of Fieldfares too this afternoon, couple of shots will put up later that might be distinguishable.

Lot to learn

• Here we go, could these be Fieldfares?

There had been about a dozen or more, they didn't hang around once I was in the lane so could only manage these shaded pics.

Gaynor

Lot to learn