The Return Of The GSW

This Great Spotted Woodpecker appeared in the garden on Oct 6th, 3 months after we last saw one in the garden.

They certainly like our old rotting wooden garden screen posts, don't know what is going to happen when I finally get them all down and replaced with metal obelisks.

It then produced an acorn, from the inside of the post, did it put it there? Or did it find it there from a previous visit or had the squirrels put it there, answers on a postcard to... Who Found The Acorn Competition, PO Box 99, Timbuktu, Mali.

I'm not sure they eat acorns and am thinking it found the acorn there and moved it out of the way to root about for insects.

It then pushed it into a hole further down the post.

It then flew off leaving the acorn in its new hole. Was it being kind to the squirrels or leaving it for later?

• I think it was just playing mind games with the squirrel! A welcome return though :o)
  • Great photos Tony; I think you will have to leave one rotten post in situ for him or leave a few mealworms and peanuts out instead !!
  • Good to see it back. I don't know whether they eat acorns although I don't see why not. No trouble in cracking open I'd have thought. As Hazel suggests stuff a few peanuts in there and see what turns up.
    I've got the trunk of a small pear tree which died and have been thinking of putting it up as a more natural feeder thingy. Trouble is it's bloomin' heavy and I've got so old I'm not sure I can manage it.
  • Unknown said:
    I've got the trunk of a small pear tree which died and have been thinking of putting it up as a more natural feeder thingy. Trouble is it's bloomin' heavy and I've got so old I'm not sure I can manage it.

LOL Tony,    when I think back to building the two stumpery areas in the garden, I can't believe how we managed it with the heavy Oak;   don't think we could do it now !       I do like the idea you have of making a feeder out of the old pear trunk ...... but maybe cut it into a much smaller piece first  ! 

• I think he is full up and saving a meal for later:-) Smashing pics Tony.