Tatton Park update 23rd Sept.

Before the weather changes and temperatures drop we decided to head to Tatton Park for a walk;    rutting season is only just getting underway and although I got a few pics of red deer, I didn't get the stags as they were either too far away or they were laying down in close proximity but under the dark shade of the trees !      Wasn't as sunny as promised either with grey sky mostly but I managed to take a few pics.

Apart from this, I didn't bother taking any other shots of the stags with it being too shady .....it was fairly warm at 20 degrees 

why do they always stick their tongues out to anyone holding a camera   lol  !! 

Hello beautiful  !      cute youngster peeking out from around the tree stump 

social distancing during rutting season seemed to go out the window  !!      good job the stag was placid,   looked like it was one of the gang.

You have to be careful if you walk through the long marsh grass although these were either female or youngsters ....... 

the rutting hasn't really begun in earnest yet - only heard one very distant bellow so the next few weeks will get more interesting

It is rare they lift their head up as they are constantly grazing !      waited ten minutes and gave up    lol      (taken with 400mm and 1.4 x)

On the mere's there were lots of tufted ducks, common pochard, cormorants, canada geese, GH.Gulls and a few mute Swans;   most were too distant for photos and the sky was very grey overhead.      

I saw what I assumed was a single Little Grebe;    I was wondering why I didn't see, even on juvenile or post breeding season,  any sign of pale gape on base of bill.    Just need this confirming as I thought all L.Grebes had at least a hint of pale at the base of their bill  ?

It's a large parkland with 400 deer (red and fallow)        btw,  that's Mike in the distance walking back towards the car !

• Lovely, Hazy - especially the first shot of that very casual deer. I imagine you'll be treating us to more of Tatton Park as the deer get increasingly fruity? Let's hope there'll be no idiot with a dog featuring negatively.

• Unknown said:
    I saw what I assumed was a single Little Grebe;    I was wondering why I didn't see, even on juvenile or post breeding season,  any sign of pale gape on base of bill.    Just need this confirming as I thought all L.Grebes had at least a hint of pale at the base of their bill  ?

I could be completely wrong, Hazel, but when I saw this I thought Black-necked Grebe. Slightly upturned bill, reddish eye and markings different from Little Grebe. You've probably seen more of these than I have so you are probably a better judge.

Nice shots of the Deer. Nice and placid for the moment but that won't last long.

• TeeJay, I think you're right. I thought the bird lacked the usual bustle!
  • Thanks Clare and Tony,

Unknown said:
    I could be completely wrong, Hazel, but when I saw this I thought Black-necked Grebe. Slightly upturned bill, reddish eye and markings different from Little Grebe.

I was hoping you'd say that Tony because I said to Mike I thought it may be a Black necked Grebe for the same reasons you mentioned but didn't have the confidence to say it  LOL     It just didn't strike me as a Little Grebe and we are not far from Woolston Eyes where they breed each year and it made me wonder if it could be.     I'll be chuffed if we are right as when I spotted this singleton I thought it was slightly different.    Fingers crossed we're right  lol

More photos of it .......  I took a lot in case my hunch was right.

• It's certainly a lovely little bird!
  • Got my fingers crossed Clare as I've seen them at Woolston in their breeding plumage but they were always pretty shy and distant.
  • Lovely pics of the Tatton Hall deer Hazy, they look so quiet and placid at the moment, but I know they have their moments!!! Glad you have definite id on the Black necked Grebe, lovely looking bird.
  • Looked a fab day Hazel, looking forward to more deer-y updates. In the RSPB book, every pic of the Black Necked Grebe has a properly red eye, but the written description fits very well with your images, so my tuppence (which isn't worth the paper it's written on) is it is a BN Grebe :o)
  • Lovely pics from a lovely day out again Hazel..well done you!
  • Hi Hazel
    Lovely pictures. Personally I like a more subdued lighting and you've captured a catchlight in the deer eyes - beautiful.
    I wouldn't want to mess with that stag on the road though!
    Cheers
    Jean