Pelican power !

I went to St James's Park in central London yesterday. I was mesmerised by the Pelicans and then two rushed out of the lake to dry off. And wow, what a spectacle. It was like a helicopter landing! I made a short one minute video of these wonderful birds

• Well that was different, good footage and well done for not legging it when it headed your way!!
  • Yes, it was a case of shoot or scoot !  (Shoot as in camera, not gun, of course!)

• Lovely video, WtB, and well done for standing your ground. Looks like they have had their primary feathers clipped on one wing, presumably to prevent them from flying away.
    I had to google the one phrase I remembered in order to remind myself about the entire poem (see below) and who wrote it! The information is from Wikipedia ('Interesting, but I wonder, is it true?' is my motto when reading Wiki stuff!) which also has a variant version of the poem. Apparently, this limerick is often wrongly attributed to Ogden Nash. Another item of interest given was that the author was one of the founder members of the Tennessee Ornithological Society. You might want to google him yourself. For your pleasure, I present:

A Wonderful Bird is the Pelican
    by Dixon Lanier Merritt

A wonderful bird is the pelican,
    His bill will hold more than his belican,
    He can take in his beak,
    Enough food for a week,
    But I'm damned if I see how the helican!
  • Hi Ann. Yes, you're right. Someone in the park was saying that they can't fly apart from two. I saw one flying around their island in the middle of the lake. Great limerick - made me smile.
    Jean