The river, and maybe a little #smug later!

Fair warning dear readers, I have a week off work, Mrs PB is not off until the weekend, I have no chores, my slate is clean, and I have brownie points to spend!!

Glorious forecast for today, so I contemplated another wader excursion to Weymouth or Portland, but decided to stay local, and walk to the river, as I've not been there in a while. I was out by 7:30 and as such had some webtastic views of the dew

Glinting jewels in the soft morning sunshine

And the weir at the Mill looked lovely

On the wildlife front, there'd been little more than crows and pigeons and cackling jackdaws, when a sudden flurry of activity marked the arrival of a lollipop family, one looking hairy

And one actually facing the camera's general direction, which I thought was kind!

I must have encroached on Jenny's patch, because she shouted at me and tried to lure me away from where I was standing by coming closer then moving away again, I guess a nest or something?

The path leads through a small but of woodland alongside the river, and as I entered a clatter of wings was the departure of a couple of blackbirds. Still present where they flew from was a song(?) thrush, so I think they were in a gang!

A little further into the wood, on two adjacent leaves, were a trio of stripy buzzies

Furry Fringed Bee

Red Eyed Tapering Hoverfly

And a Furry Shouldered Bee

Note: These names have been changed to protect the innocent!

There's a small bridge that crosses the river, just into some fields, but there is quite a nice view down the river, to the old railway bridge from it. As Iooked some pigeons came in to land, but to my distant eye, one looked to be flying differently, and also, landed on one of the vertical walls of the bridge, I instinctively snapped a couple of shots, and when I checked was mightily surprised to see

I had obviously walked along to get closer to the mystery bird, but it was gone by the time I reached the bridge, but lumbering away from me was a Buzzard

The dew hadn't burned off and there was some more web magic

I walked on a fair way, and suddenly Jenny number two shouted at me, before diving into the undergrowth

A dunnock showed me to of his characteristics, Grumpiness

And regal pride

A first for a while, a Greenfinch was eyeing up the plethora of berries

There were still a few butterflies about, I saw 2 that weren't whites, but neither settled for a photo, unlike this small white

I'm not sure of this next bird... a spotty dunnock?!

Also alighting for picture presentation was this green veined white (late bloomer?)

Now for the smug bit... I was properly chuffed with how these turned out

Obviously, the only way to follow that, is with a Baa Baa Poo Bee

Overhead a lone gull wheeled away

Walking back through the wood a patch of bright green caught my eye..

And a final bird from the walk ... google lens says a spotted flycatcher.. but I don't know (it also looks a bit similar to the spotty dunnock earlier!)

And a final shot, from the garden, a Blue Tit enjoying a fine repast, BUURRRRPPppppppp

I hope you enjoyed it (I did have to repost it once, as i got disconnected grrrr) as much as I enjoyed shooting it!

Stay safe all

• Glad you have chosen a glorious week to take time off work and delightful set of photos as always PB, the webs are fantastic, amazing how the spiders create these delicate and beautiful lace like creations which are so pretty with early morning dew on them. I saw a lot this morning ... huge webs against fence and shrubs looking like works of art.
    Stunning captures of the flying dragonfly, will leave it to Nige or TeeJay to ID but it looks like some type of Hawker (Migrant maybe ? ) and I would agree the mystery bird does have a look of a Spot-fly which are on migration passage at the moment as they leave our shores. Once again, a beautiful set of photos and species, thanks PB and wishing you a week of adventures :)
  • Lovely selection from your morning out PB, the webs are lovely glistening in the morning light. You managed to get a nice selection of birdies as well, not forgetting the butterfly's and buzzy, flying thingies!!
  • Another fab day doon the river PB....only web I see everyday is the one on my car wing mirror lol...obviously not as impresive as yours! Thanks for the pics of all your lovely finds..Enjoy your week off
  • Your commentary does make me laugh PB and the birds ain't half bad either. At one stage I thought you had captured a dipper, but then woodpecker came to mind (on the bridge) You have every reason to be smug with your dragonfly, beautiful colours and to get it in flight gives you 10 stars:-) Looking forward to joining in your escapades this week.
  • It does look like you've picked a good week to get out and about. It is nice to catch a dragon in flight, isn't it. It's probably a Migrant Hawker. Great to spot the woodpecker, too. The spotty dunnock isn't the best viewpoint for my ID skills, but perhaps a Redpoll. Most of the bees aren't, except the hairy shouldered one, which is a common carder. The earlier one is a hoverfly and the later poo one, a wasp.
    Good hunting for the rest of the week. Hope the tide is right if you're going for waders someday.
  • Nice selecton of lovely shots, PB. Your spotty Dunnock looks very much like a young Goldfinch to me. :-)
  • Thank you everyone, I think I'll take a redpoll over the juvie goldie...a tick off the list lol
  • LOL, PB, I can understand the temptation but what's a Redpoll doing in the deep south in late summer (or possibly early autumn)?! At our previous house in northwest Surrey, near the Surrey/Hants/Berks borders, we only ever saw Redpolls in deepest winter and only on a very few times in over 3 decades...

Edit:  Oops, apologies, PB--just looked at the RSPB map--seems some RPs are resident on the south coast, so you might have seen one (though I still think your photo is a Goldie--lol!)

• Unknown said:
    some RPs are resident on the south coast

Well that just proves it then Ann... TICK lol Joy