Walk on the rocky side

Another dry day with temperature around 24 degrees so decided to take the birthday boy out for a walk in the Peak District,  back to Wildboarclough starting point but this time doing the full 4 and half mile circuit.      Only about a 20 minute drive from home but realised the printed map was still in the printer back home !   so had to rely on our 5 or 6 year memory of the same walk we did back then although everything looked different so we just headed for the hills on a wing and a prayer   lol        The walk was much more tiring this time, mainly due to being 5 or 6 years older than last time we walked it and also because of the heat;   we also forgot just how rocky these old drovers tracks are and spent more time looking at my footing than looking for birds   LOL

Anyway, onwards and definitely upwards for the first part,  photos taken on the old mobile and took the 7diii and 100-400 lens without extender and binoculars - it was heavy enough already and felt like a ton weight by the end of the walk !

First bird as we walked alongside the River Dane was a male Grey Wagtail;  there can be Dippers here too but didn't see any today as we headed up the drovers track 

A robin greeting us on the steady incline ......and before Paul asks I did leave it some mixed seed with mealworm ! 

Meadow Pipit lurking in the long grass 

there were dozens of them everywhere but skittish 

and a beautiful female northern Wheatear 

a male Kestrel was hovering close by

now a few pics taken along the route (using the old iPhone 5)

this next photo is a popular visitor spot called Panniers Pool  by Three Shires Head area  (Cheshire, Staffordshire, Derbyshire)

We stopped here to eat our ham salad sandwiches and drink down another bottle of water 

onwards and upwards to rejoin the Buxton road where we crossed over and on towards Wildboarclough village 

the view from High Peak - no Stonechats seen this trip but it is a favourite area for them 

Heading down again towards Wildboarclough, this area can be boggy during rainy season and there are duckboards crossing the pasture once you cross the Buxton Road

female pheasant in a group of half a dozen happy foraging in cover on the lower woodland area;    they must realise the inglorious 12th has begun :(

robin junior 

a Grey Heron in Clough Brook 

St. Saviour's Church, Wildboarclough 

Our weary feet continued back along the lane towards Clough House car park again where we seem to trudge on for a mile !  

Nice cool shower once home and feet up for the rest of the day after a salad dinner and some birthday dessert of chocolate mousse and ice-cream :)   

• Many thanks everyone, it was good to get out although it was an exhausting walk but in beautiful surroundings. No walk today, instead we went to the garden centre and bought some bee & butterfly friendly plants to put in some new planters which arrived today. Makes if feel more like home with a few flowers/plants around :) I'll stick a photo on the odds and sods thread shortly.   Mike says many thanks for the very kind birthday wishes.  

• Seen your planting choice aitch, very nice!
  • Many happy returns for Mike
    Looks like a lovely walk. I've not seen a Grey Wagtail for a surprisingly long while - just because I've been doing different things rather than their absence. There will be millions of Mipits on the moors now with all the youngsters boosting the numbers. Don't forget to look for the odd Tree Pipit in the mix. They usually show near me at this time of year.
  • Thanks all,

Unknown said:
    Don't forget to look for the odd Tree Pipit in the mix. They usually show near me at this time of year.

Don't think I'd know a TP if I fell over it   lol so will have to have a look at some photos.    There was a Northern Wheatear in the same flock so all is possible !     To be honest it wasn't till recently and finally getting out and about that I've seen many species,  such an 'orrible year all round really but maybe it was good for the wildlife with folk being in lockdown, gave them a break from photographers and twitchers  lol     Enjoy your outings when you can Nige,  it's good for the soul to get into the countryside,  really missed the regular trips out this year.    

post edit:  forgot to mention re:  G.Wagtail,     I hadn't seen one for months when suddenly we had a male Waggie come to the pond area down below our balcony ..... only record shot 

as it was using the floating boom (which is being used to collect algae)         Will have to get Alan to put in some stick perches to attract a Kingfisher   LOL

• That looks like a great walk Hazel a lot more interesting and strenuous than our current walks around NT Ickworth at 3mls. on good solid surfaces. Sounds like a nice way to spend a birthday with a walk and ice cream. I do like Wheatears but unless we go further afield soon we won't see any this year. Think I would have had to have put my feet in the beck.
  • Love the photos Hazel, all of them, and the scenery looked fabulous.
  • Unknown said:
    Will have to get Alan to put in some stick perches to attract a Kingfisher   LOL

Good idea! You may need to stock the pond with fish though. Still, you could keep a few sticklebacks in the pantry and I'm sure you'll soon have Kingfishers sitting on the door handles outside the kitchen waiting for you to come out and feed them ... same as mealies, really!!

• Unknown said:
    You may need to stock the pond with fish though.

Should be a few sticklebacks in it already as we used to have a G.Heron roosting in some reeds (until they were taken out !  )  and we hear that the pond will be stocked with carp during October as supposedly that is the best month to add them.    Time will tell but we do get the usual mallards and today we saw 8 so numbers are building !    Grey Waggie is around sometimes and I guess the Heron will be back when larger fish are on the menu !       Dragonflies and damsels too and lots of waterlilies so we can't complain as they are really trying to get the pond algae reduced and its looking pretty good at the moment -    think the Heron wants the reeds back though !    there are a few but they are closer to the water level apartments so not for skittish birds. 

• They might not want a kingfisher hanging around if they are stocking the pond with carp, even if they could only manage youngsters ... mind you, a Heron would be an even more expensive guest to provide regular dinners for!
  • Unknown said:
    HAZY said:
    Will have to get Alan to put in some stick perches to attract a Kingfisher   LOL

Good idea! You may need to stock the pond with fish though. Still, you could keep a few sticklebacks in the pantry and I'm sure you'll soon have Kingfishers sitting on the door handles outside the kitchen waiting for you to come out and feed them ... same as mealies, really!!

________________________________________________________________________________

Just an update on that half joking conversation regarding a Kingfisher perch;     seems this morning we had not one but two Kingfishers at the pond in front of the apartment so I think the installation of perches needs putting to the top of the list  lol       Of course, Mike saw them at 7am and the only day I decided to have half an hour extra - typical  !!   he said they were perched on the pond edge and one was diving and came out with some sort of fish - maybe a stickleback.    He said they didn't stay long but it was nice to know they appeared briefly :)     They probably wouldn't hang around long as the ongoing construction work to remaining apartments starts at 7am.   Looks good for the future though !