Dragon Hunt

• Wow, some very nice captures here Nige, had a good day myself today got a a couple of Dragons myself :)

Jim

My Pictures

• In reply to Dave - CH:

Dave, you will have seen a Demoiselle damselfly, Male: metallic blue body with dark wings.

POST EDIT

Demoiselle damselfly

Jim

My Pictures

• Fabulous photos Nigel, amazing colours and great detail. I saw my first dragon on Thurs in a friends garden but none in ours near the pond yet.

Tony

https://www.flickr.com/photos/wherryman/

• In reply to James:

Thanks Jim,

Wings looked absolutely solidly coloured and not at all transparent, with perhaps the exception of their base.

Must have been a trick of the light (as I swear I hadn't been drinking...)

• In reply to Dave - CH:

Most dragonflies don't have coloured wings. Only 1 has a metallic blue body with totally blue wings, the Beautiful Demoiselle, Calopteryx Virgo, so it sounds like you're on the right track. They need slow moving rivers to breed in rather than still ponds. The only other one it can be mistaken for is the Banded Demoiselle, which is very similar but has distinct blue bands on the wings rather than fully blue wings. All other blue Dragonflies have clear wings. PS I'm only familiar with UK ones

Nige   Flickr

• In reply to Nigel O:

Thanks Nigel. That's what Mrs. Dave thought it was; she was intrigued by the name too.

The river that runs through this valley is shallow and slow-moving at this point.

I posted the sighting on the national reporting platform. If I'm obviously wrong, they'll 'send the boys round'... and I'll let you know once the wounds have healed.

All the best -

Dave

• Brilliantly clear photos Nige, the detail is so clear,

I've given up trying to see any dragons or damsels this year, Covid19 has but a block on that, with the reserves I visit either over visited or still closed....

Mike

Flickr Peak Rambler