Sunday in the park

A few from local parks at the weekend. A fresh-faced Chiffchaff (yes, I am sure it is as I also have a photo showing the wing in detail) just barely glimpsed through a gap in a bush.

A rude bee caught sticking it's tongue out. You can't tell from this photo but I reckon it's probably a Gypsy Cuckoo Bumblebee

I think this is the first white that has posed for me this year - a shocking state of affairs - it's a Green-veined White.

You'd think this disreputable character had spent enough time in the bath, wouldn't you?

"No, I'm going in again!"

The paths are back to winter mud, which I suppose is good for Froglets - at least I think it's a Froglet and not a Toadlet

A Silver Y hiding in the vegetation

One of the drone flies, I think Eristalis Nemorum

This Red-legged Shieldbug was parked on a holly bush in the darkest spot, but a bit of flash made it pop

Nige   Flickr

• Nice collection of photos. Re amphibian, it is a toadlet. Still waiting for the local toads, and frogs for that matter, to find the pond I dug 8 years ago.

• In reply to Robbo:

You may be right. I was debating whether the nose was too blunt for a frog (as I don't trust the skin appearance in this case) but decided otherwise in the end.

Nige   Flickr

• Absolute beauties Nige and such magnificent detail; also love the soggy bathing beauty !

Regards, Hazel 

"Each kindness shown to birds or men is sure to flutter back again" 

• Fabulous photos Nigel, the Chiff Chaff is a stunner, and the bathing beauty (is it a Spadger) enjoying the puddle. Should be plenty of froglets and toadlets around now after all this rain, hasn't stopped here all day.

Lot to learn

• Great pics again Nige, my first thought was toadlet too!

2013 photos & vids here

eff37 on Flickr

• Terrific set pics and variety of species Nigel. I can do a good impersonation of the soggy bird after a shower now as not had a hair cut since end of Jan and won't until sometime in Aug when I'm set free.

Tony

https://www.flickr.com/photos/wherryman/

• In reply to Nigel O:

From photos, legs are probably as good a way as any to tell them apart. Obviously, the way they move is another good indicator if you're the one taking the photos. I used to get loads at my previous house. Sadly, the vast majority never made it back to the pond. At that age though, used to watch them striding around, down the path etc. They also accept they aren't going to get away. Froglets on the other hand scatter and jump everywhere.