Kestrel chicks

Three in total this year.

• Three chicks only this year, normally have four. 

• Good to see these sweeties, thanks Nev, are they local to you?

2013 photos & vids here

eff37 on Flickr

• 100 metres from the bottom of my garden Wendy, armchair birding with a good pair of bins. They are almost ready to launch themselves upon the world, I will post pics later.
  • That's great to have them so near Nev, bit like me with Colin visiting telegraph pole or cliffs opposite my doors, shame they stopped nesting here though!

2013 photos & vids here

eff37 on Flickr

• It's a long way down chaps, who's going first?It's a long way down chaps, who's going first?

• Great to have them so close to your home Nev, good pics.

Lot to learn

• How wonderful to have these kestrel chicks just a short distance from your house and able to almost view from the armchair ! lovely pics.

Regards, Hazel 

"Each kindness shown to birds or men is sure to flutter back again" 

• Lovely photo, and to have them on annual basis, even though this year three instead of four must still be great to see.
  • We have been in the house for 18 years now and I put the box up 16 years ago. 4 chicks for 14 years, one year the Jackdaws raided the nest so nothing at all, this year 3 chicks. They have been an absolute delight and we look forward to seeing them every year although obviously the birds themselves will have changed as time goes on.

Has the site been occupied by generations of the same family down the line I wonder?
  • It looks like you have made a nesting box that has stood the test of time and they obviously like it to come back each year. I would say the chances are they are from the same brood to come back every year, brilliant and the joy and anticipation of seeing them each year must be wonderful. I have only been Bird watching for around two years now which coincided with the purchase of a secondhand SLR camera, and photographing birds, i have now put bird feeders in the garden and this year a nesting box, nothing elaborate just the shop bought type with the hope that birds shall use it if not this year maybe next. and i like you watch the birds come to the feeders with the binoculars from the comfort of my chair. Well Done Nev and lets hope you get four or even five next year.