Neighbours and the law

So as most of you on here know I have several garden visitors and enjoy them very much. I just got out my car there and was asked to stop feeding the squirrels. I said no..she said shes phoned the council to complain as they are causing her bother...which is ******** only bother they caused was to her policeman husband to scream when it ran along the fence.

Much appreciate any advice

• Oh no Linda, just what you don't want. It is not nice when there are problems with neighbour's and our feathered and furry friends. I must say I have been very lucky in that when we lived in town in our first house and now here in the country, have had no problems regarding this. You do read posts here where this subject has come up often. Try searching in the search bar at the top of the page (neighbour's and birds or something like that) and see what folks have advised. Good luck.

• Will do thanks for that. She has actually lit her fire pit , brought it down the garden as close to my side door as possible and left it smouldering all night ..its still going and most the street is covered in it! As i say they think theybare above the Law being police!
  • Linda257 said:
    Will do thanks for that. She has actually lit her fire pit , brought it down the garden as close to my side door as possible and left it smouldering all night ..its still going and most the street is covered in it! As i say they think theybare above the Law being police!

Not one to be stirring, but there's a counterclaim there, you have a wooden fence and possible unattended fire spreading.

On a more productive note, have a look at he Council Environmental Services pages, about pests, rodents, insects etc, that would give you an idea of where you both stand.

• Thanks Mike. I have done nothing but scour the internet to see where I stand. We have lived here since it was built...bought property with biggest garden in the estate! Its only now that we are in lockdown and the neighbours are home that they are noticing wildlife..never bothered them before but we shall see what happens when her HOTTUB arrives and the 007 evenings start...oh yes that's how the police party ...even a red carpet by the front door .
    Only time I moan to them is when they selfishly overpark my driveway .
  • Linda257 said:
    Thanks Mike. I have done nothing but scour the internet to see where I stand. We have lived here since it was built...bought property with biggest garden in the estate! Its only now that we are in lockdown and the neighbours are home that they are noticing wildlife..never bothered them before but we shall see what happens when her HOTTUB arrives and the 007 evenings start...oh yes that's how the police party ...even a red carpet by the front door .
    Only time I moan to them is when they selfishly overpark my driveway .

I don't know about Scottish Law, in England, full or partial blocking a driveway is only an offence in London, I used to have a neighbour who did exactly that, and that was pure arrogance on their part.

I cured that one, one hot summers night, there was no car outside their house, and I had to leave for work at 04:00, so, their windows open I just accidentally on purpose, closed my car door a little noisier than normal, and for some strange reason, it never happened again!

Even better, since then, they've been gone a good few years ago.

• Nice one Mike... got a letter yesterday about feeding the birds( half of it was copied and pasted from RSPB on feeeding)....nice ...just waiting on one about feeding squirrels.