Not Northumberland #4

Roll up, roll up, welcome one and all. A shorter episode today but still hopefully containing a few delights. Mrs PB was supposed to be on hols with me this week, but as we were cancelled, and as I have nearly double the annual leave she does, she decided to work most of the week, but to have today off. We perused the interweb, and thought about going looking for puffins (a chap by the river yesterday had said there was a small colony on Portland), but when I explained where they had been seen, she said "I'm not leaning over the edge of a cliff to look at birds.....even if they are adorable ickle puffins" I suggested Lodmore, in Weymouth as the terns are nesting there and that would be sort of reminiscent of the Farnes, and despite being an RSPB site, should still be open as it adjoins Lorton Meadows so is public access.

We set off early and were there about 8, and were greeted by a phalanx of photographers.... I asked what was special about and they replied squacco heron. Now, I must be honest, if I knew what one of those looked like, or I was without Mrs PB, I'd have hung about for probably half an hour, at least, on the off chance!!

After that there were more regular sightings, a dunnock trying to confuse me by being up a tree

A goldie

A Reed Warbler (despite there being notices about sedge warblers, I'm pretty sure it isn't one of those)...Less obliging than the ones by the river!

First sighting of Common Tern this season (there are a lot more to follow!!)

A lovely Robin popped up to say Hello

Got confused with these ducks and wondered if they were Teal... the yellow eye on the one nearest the goose was distracting

There were a number of cormorants (whoop whoop Slight smile)

And sat next to him were Mr and Mrs Tufty (looking sleek to confuse me again...I swear it's a conspiracy!!)

The cormorant got bored

And then a Tern arrived with brekkie

And one arrived with out!

Not sure what make these two are, but youngsters anyway (or 1st summer moult or some other weird feather change going on)

Look at the size of that wingspan....no wonder they are such fabulous fliers!

Classic Tern Pole Top Pose!

Carrotbill

Coming Dear

I only saw one wader on the trip, and I'm torn between a Barwit and a Redshank, but neither seems right, as it seems to have a long neck, and the plumage doesn't match pictures I've seen of any waders! (It'll be that weird moult plumage thing going on again I 'spect!)

Further around the lake we spotted a slightly tired looking blue tit

An action shot of a little egret

Shrek's lollipop.... don't know what these become, put full credit to Mrs PB for the spot

A lovely shot of a twig AND a branch, spoiled by the bullfinch

And a stunning sunning greenfinch

Then I spotted the other main reason for going to Lodmore, the Marsh harriers have bred, so there is a greater opportunity to spot them

But don't mistake them for Little Egrets

As we neared the exit a pair of coots popped out of the reeds, who knew they could swim upside down underwater!!

And finally, as we walked along the road back to the car a marsh harrier made it's closest pass

Thanks for reading again, hope there were a few little treats in there for all.

Not sure if there'll be an installment tomorrow, as the forecast has deteriorated drastically, so may be home all day.

Stay safe All