Travels Around My Garden

I haven't left the house/garden now for 17 days, ventured up the drive one evening to the road to see what the outside world looked like. Didn't look like it had changed at all, the church and graveyard still across the road, the daffs along the church wall have gone over and the trees in the churchyard are starting to leaf and the view across the valley to the River Glem looked just the same. Its all quite bizarre in many ways.

As a result obviously no photos of any trips/travels to post so I decided to have a wander around the garden as the weather was so good this past week, so the following is a selection of fauna and flora from the past few days.

Firstly some of the plants in flower, some type of Daff which has double and sometimes triple flowers on one stem.

Anenome

Some kind of Vibernum

Hyacinths in full bloom

An acid yellow Euphorbia, Wolfenii I think.

A flowering Currant.

Fritillary about to open

This one looks like a snowdrop but is about 3x taller, called Leuconium something or other.

One morning the Moorhen was investigating the pond again.

Then back the other direction ...

The Blue Tits busy with new soft furnishings

Lots of Peacocks about in the sun

The Blue Tits inspecting their work, wonder if the paints dry yet.

Getting rid of some dirty bedding

The first Comma turned up and noticed it was chasing Peacocks in between sunbathing

The Comma as usual folded its wings to show of its very pale legs.

Another day a few Starlings turned up for a bath, I think their first visit this year.

Into my 3rd week "shielding" now and a new lens has arrived so hopefully will try it around the garden this coming week. I'll run out of gardening jobs soon at this rate ... thank goodness oh the Arthur-itis is complaining.

• What a lovely set Tony, and I'm glad you're keeping safe. is the new lens the macro one you were saying about? If so I'm looking forward to superfine detail on your next post :o)
    Keep well
  • Great to see what's going on in your garden Tony ... Leucojum/Spring Snowflake btw!
  • What a good indication of spring and sunshine and wildlife ! such cheery photos, thanks Tony. Your garden looks a perfect place to encourage all manner of creatures so look forward to the next set. All these posts from folk are keeping us going as it's hard to get anything done during lock-down !
  • Thanks PB, now you've moved aren't you going to adopt new initials? Glad to see/hear your move all went well and on time considering the current climate.
    I'm/we are fine staying close to home with neither of going out any more to make life easier as we are finally managing to book vulnerable/priority delivery slots at Tesco and our local pub is doing heat at home delivered meals at the weekend so that's sun lunch sorted, might ask them to add a couple of pints this Sun. Suffolk Gold from our local brewery.
    Yes the new lens is a Canon 100mm f2.8 IS USM Macro, first thought, its heavy compared to my 18-135mm zoom but the shots are quite good, will need some practice. My wife loves it as the slide copies she is now getting are amazing, so much better than a scan or with the 18-135 zoom. So alls good so far and you and all other forumites who have to go out stay safe and keep a distance.
  • Thanks for the ID Wendy, knew it was Leuco something, not so good at remembering plant names these days.
  • Thank you Hazel, I did by a Maco lens from that site you gave the link for, ordered thurs eve arrived mon pm. Great service and the lens looks pristine. Taken a few shots but I think will take a little time to get used to when I can get it from my wife. It does fell heavier than other similar sized lens.
    I realise your in rented accommodation at present so must feel some what strange and a little in limbo. I'm spending hours in the garden at present, had a delivery of new rasp canes, bare rooted strawberries, gooseberries and blueberries so in the process of getting them planted and digging out old rasp canes.
  • Sounds like you have plenty to keep you occupied Tony and glad to hear you were pleased with the lens and the service. Look forward to more pics in due course. I've just been over to new apt. to check on it and try out the new landline we managed to get installed a couple of days ago but couldn't get hold of my brother in Australia as their landline isn't working - typical lol 10 months since I spoke to him but hopefully we'll get there in the end as a trip to Aussie will have to wait another year with the pandemic :( Mustn't stop you from all that gardening, all that fruit sounds lovely.
  • Forgot to add in my first reply Hazel, we had a female Blackcap at the pond on Sun and on Tues 4 female Linnet and brief appearance by a male, that's some harem this one has, unfortunately no camera to hand as it was rigged on a tripod over a lightbox.
  • Wonderful to hear you have such an abundance of species in your garden Tony, it proves how well you've set it up to encourage all the wildlife, as the Aussies would say "good on ya" !! all bodes well for a summer of stunning flowers, fruit, birds, butterflies and other beauties so better keep that camera on standby and extra batteries LOL
  • Lovely set of photos Tony, and I like the moorhen investigating the pond. I'm pleased to read you're keeping well.

That new lens is doing you proud.

Sadly, our garden will e a bit barren this year due to Covid-19. The gardener (sounds posh, but I ain't, its cos since my accident any heavy or prolonged strain on the leg is painful), had sorted out three plant beds, de-weeded them and sorted what plants to go in.

Thankfully he hadn't bought any before the lockdown, but perhaps next year....