A couple of Titch

He had been away a week and I was getting concerned (as you do) then coming back from a walk there he was in the clematis as bold as brass

After being away for a week I was starting to wonder........as you do 

I think this is his fourth year that he has been visiting

No female yet this year, he did last year and was in and out collecting food in what I called his fast mode,  zooming in and out without so much as a thank you!

So hopefully this next visitor from this morning will not be too regular

Very laid back Sprawk in the back garden,

Smart looking bird

Good to see but not too often:-)

Going out now for dinner, better make the most of it in case they lock us over 70's away for a few months!!!!!

• They aren't in this case. If you look further, it only purports to be Chinese because it was first used by an ambassador (or similar) writing back to England from China during troubled times. He didn't even claim it was local and no-one has actually found a Chinese equivalent. So it is now thought it is something relatively recent, possibly from the ambassador himself (unless he picked it up elsewhere). It is one of those QI like facts that actually isn't what everyone thinks it is. Well, that's my understanding anyway!!
  • Ah, the plot thickens. I'm counting on you, Nigel, to get to the bottom of this pressing question!
  • The history seems to be:
    Attributed as a curse to the Chinese in 1936 but the curse bit was almost certainly made up by the guy from the Foreign Office at the time. It is unknown in China.
    "Live in interesting times" without being a curse was in use long before in English and apparently a much-used saying of the diplomats father.
    More recently it was made famous (again) by a Robert F Kennedy speech in the 60's
    Will that do you?
  • Haven't stopped laughing yet Ann & can scarcely see for tears!

• Nigel, I bow to your superior knowledge as my googling finger hurts from overuse ... makes for very interesting reading though & I thank you ... now ...... onto the radishes!? Lol
  • You have done stirling work there Nigel and Wendy you can put away the tissues and go and check out your cameras for more of the hedgehog stories never mind taking an interest in the veg. lol
  • Gaynor, Sorry to hijack your thread--any sign of Titch lately?!
    Nigel and Wendy, that's probably sufficient regarding the 'interesting times' curse-- thanks! Of course, I could have googled it myself, but I've been busy corresponding with friends and relatives, some of whom I haven't been in contact with for far too long and getting updates about the virus where they are. As my father used to say, 'Things are tough all over' although he did say that in completely opposite circumstances, namely when someone complained about some extremely minor and unimportant thing. If only.
    Wendy, Glad to hear I brightened your day but I hope you didn't crash into anything due to being blinded by tears! Always best to stay in one spot when weeping. Also hope you've stocked up on tissues for the foreseeable future in the event I remember any other curses--lol!
    Speaking of veg, Mr GB planted radishes yesterday, outside, in a proper veg plot (if you were wondering!) Also a few other veg seeds and a few fruit bushes so by the summer we'll have fresh food from the garden!

• Lol Ann, fortunately was sat-sitting (as opposed to stood-standing) at the time so no midnight trips to A&E required (TLL)

Just about to start off two types of tomato seeds in those marvellous little expanding pellets ... fascinates me still!

• Wendy, I think we did not buy tomato seeds, thinking (silly us!) that we'd buy already-started plants in a few weeks from a garden centre. Hey, ho, live and learn. Have any spares?--lol!