RSPB Conwy 29 Feb 2020

Well, my first reserve visit since early February, after the wonderful weather we've all been enjoying!

This trip was a very last minute plan, no prep, it was a case of grab everything (luckily I have a grab-bag to hand), and chuck all the stuff I'll need in to the car and go.....

The weather forecast had been changing faster than a clock ticks the seconds off, sunny, then wet, then sunny, then wet, and finally, sunny!

So, fearing the floods in Shropshire and N Wales could hamper my drive, it was a case of go for it hope hope for the best. Just as I was starting off, I recalled he A55 westbound around St Asaph was due to be closed all that weekend, so it was to be the A5. Not all that bad, I needed a trip up the A5, because a previous drive up I noticed Snowdonia looking good in the distance around a place called Glasfryn. The light was just right, Snowdon, the Glyderau and Carneddau had snow on them, making for some nice photos, as you can see below.

The Snowdon Massif on the left, and possibly Moel Siabod in the centre with Tryfan and the Glyderau to the right.

Using the Sigma 150-600 to get clearer views:

Snowdon:

Almost certainly Moel Siabod, it was certain in that direction

Tryfan (often called the dragons back)

And finally, the Carneddau:

Stopping to take those photos meant I had to detour into Snowdonia, delaying my arrival at Conwy...

Snowdon Massif from Llyn Mymbyr

Afon Idwal in full flow, with Y Garn in the background

Then, finally, I arrive at RSPB Conwy, in time for lunch. I'd realised I'd not picked up my tabs for my leg, so it was to be a quick visit to the hides and a trip back home before tea time, when my next meds were due, but it was worth the last minute dash as you will see.

There was a lot of bird life, most sheltering from storm Jorge, but the rough waters of the pools meant many were out of sight, below the waves, but still with their heads safely above the water level.

The waters were lapping over the edges:

A curlew was land feeding!

Oyster Catchers and Curlew looking for somewhere to shelter!

A goldeneye (Mrs GE was around, but out of sight due to the choppy waters) was busy feeding

Even Mr GE was dipping below the choppy waters, making it hard to get a decent piccie!

Lapwings facing the bracing wind!

More curlews, and I think dunlin. However, please correct me if I'm wrong.

Widgeon

Dipping below the waves!

And a nicely focused, once the AF finally locked on, oyster catcher flying in!

The real show stopper, was one red breasted merganser, always a graceful dive, was in close proximity, and enjoying lunch, though sadly, I never got a diving photo, due to the waves. But I did get some photos of the RBM's lunch, before swallowing!

This one is probably my favourite

GULP!    GONE!

It was a brilliant day, even though the trip had to be cut short because my grabbag didn't contain the meds I needed to stay out late, but worth it.

Incidentally, one set of items I can't pack in advance, is my meds, because I only have a 28 day supply, so usually, on a planned trip, they are packed.

• Wonderful scenic and bird photo captures Mike and looks like you had a great trip despite having to cut it shorter 'cos of the lack of meds. Lucky with the weather too as it's really changing every couple of hours at the moment ! Tomorrow and Friday look ok :)
  • Great pics Mike, lovely to see the mountains in all their magnificence, I never tire of looking at them and count myself so very lucky to be able to just look out of the window and there they are. No good at naming them though so well done you. Good selection of birds and nice to see the sun even though it was windy, as long as the rain stayed away it has to be good.
  • Wow what wonderful scenery and great pictures of birds.
    Looks like you had a great day out Mike.
    Even the choppy water looks great !
  • Almost missed this thread, glad I caught it, some beautiful shots Mike, of both birds and landscape. Pleased you managed to get out in some decent weather
  • Unknown said:
    Wonderful scenic and bird photo captures Mike and looks like you had a great trip despite having to cut it shorter 'cos of the lack of meds. Lucky with the weather too as it's really changing every couple of hours at the moment ! Tomorrow and Friday look ok :)

Thanks Hazel, it was a good day out, though TBH, the light was fast fading, so I doubt I would have stayed much longer.

• gaynorsl said:
    Great pics Mike, lovely to see the mountains in all their magnificence, I never tire of looking at them and count myself so very lucky to be able to just look out of the window and there they are. No good at naming them though so well done you. Good selection of birds and nice to see the sun even though it was windy, as long as the rain stayed away it has to be good.

Thanks Gaynor.

I can name a good many of them, and have even summitted many as well.

I've a photo which I took from a place called Rhydlydan, just a little further north west of Glasfryn on the A5, and identified the main mountain features visible. There was only one I didn't know, and sadly, I'll never get to conquer that one.

I'll dig it out and post it later.

• Linda257 said:
    Wow what wonderful scenery and great pictures of birds.
    Looks like you had a great day out Mike.
    Even the choppy water looks great !

Thanks Linda, it is quite a nice part of the country.

I managed to grab a short video, which I posted on the wrong YouTube account, of the Afon Idwal roaring past. Sadly, the sound quality doesn't do the noise any favours, for really was roaring past!

• PimperneBloke said:
    Almost missed this thread, glad I caught it, some beautiful shots Mike, of both birds and landscape. Pleased you managed to get out in some decent weather

Thanks PB, it was a long overdue trip out, and the next one doesn't seem to be coming anytime soon....

• A couple of extras from the day out.

A short YouTube video taken while at Ogwen Cottage, of Afon Idwal in flow.

For those  who know the area, it was taken while standing on the wooden bridge, and I used a Joby 5K Kit as a tripod, wrapped around the wooden side rails of the bridge.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g6R9Tq_5t3A

The photo below, the light was just perfect with the lightly snow capped summits, identifies all the most obvious peaks that were observed at the time. The only one I didn't know was Gallt yr Ogof, the rest I have walked, in the past.

For those wondering where Snowdon was, it was just out of shot to the left, but only just......

Perhaps next time I'll manage to include her....

• Lovely addition Mike and interesting to see the various peaks - all I need are the names in English now lol