All about Insects 2020

Starting new thread with this tiny speedy critter (best viewed full screen) in real time, what moves this fast?

Be two snails racing up the wall next! Lol

Link back to 2019 thread ... https://community.rspb.org.uk/wildlife/f/all-creatures/200031/all-about-insects-2019/1278648#1278648

2013 photos & vids here

eff37 on Flickr

• There is no way I would get into a shower with something like that on the loose ... shiver, shiver!

2013 photos & vids here

eff37 on Flickr

• Honey bees on the lavender

Now I'm not sure on this one, it looks like some kind of hoverfly the way it was flying, but I'm open to sugggestions.

And a spider, I think its an orb spider, please correct me if I'm wrong....

and its belly view....

• WendyBartter said:
    There is no way I would get into a shower with something like that on the loose ... shiver, shiver!

Wendy,  your reply was on its own on a new page so I wasted no time back-tracking to the previous page to see who you wouldn't like to get in the shower with   !!!     It was intriguing for a whole 5 seconds  until I read the previous reply   ROFL !!       

@ Nige, that's one morning shower or bath that I wouldn't look forward to,   sounds like the size of one of the spiders I first met in Australia called a Huntsman -  whose name was worse than it's rare bite !

Regards, Hazel 

• Lol aitch, just that Nige giving me the heebie- jeebies again just as I was giing to bed ... had my usual spider search before I settled!!

2013 photos & vids here

eff37 on Flickr

• This one is for you Nige ...
    Surrey Wildlife Trust (@SurreyWT) tweeted at 9:34 am on Mon, Aug 17, 2020:
    Have you spotted a house #spider in your bath yet? As autumn draws closer they are starting to make an appearance Fallen leaf SpiderSpider webhttps://t.co/dZbWSXWJP1
    (twitter.com/.../1295277787151040513

2013 photos & vids here

eff37 on Flickr

• I have had a few smaller ones scampering about, but they've managed to avoid the bath so far. Mind you, the big one in the bathroom ate one and just left the dead husk on the floor, so I think the bath is now off limits to ordinary sized spiders!! However, if the big one is female then she may now be pregnant!

Nige   Flickr

• Yes I have had two encounters with the large garden spiders so far, first the other night one ran across the hall and tried to hide, but I managed the paper cup and paper trick. Then yesterday I decided to steam some carrots only to find the steamer was occupied!!!!! He/she was put outside in the garden promptly!! I mean it is only August, why are they coming in so early I asked myself, then read your post Wendy and see it isn't early at all:-)
    PS I laughed at your post about the spider behind your wash basin Nigel, I used to feed one years ago in exactly the same place, the kids were quite young, I must ask them if they remember me doing that:-) it was one of the spindly ones, which as you say eat their mates, nice little habits!!!!

Lot to learn

• I have a spider in my car mirror, hanging on for dear life every time I take the car out! I would have thought it would get the memo and hide inside the mirror casing when the engine started but it must be too busy admiring itself.

Speaking of garden spiders, one ran under my tv unit last night, I thought it was a mouse, it was so big. I do admire spiders but I'm not much use if one gets too close (think running around in little circles screaming). My favourite is the zebra spider, they are such amazing little predators.
  • Moth traps attract not only moths but others - I'm learning to deal with wasps but they are swines for taking the micros but I also had Ichneumonidae and Hoverflies!  

I'm ignoring the **ider discussion - I am having a new boiler and immersion cylinder fitted at the moment and I have had to request that a number of 8 legged freaks leave the area 

Cin J

• Help with IDs please

This critter in my pond...

And this one on my blind...I did carefully return this one outdoors

(Pardon the Scottish Accent)