A Plethora of Predators

Before Ciara came in, I was at Lunt again, still hunting for a really close Shortie. However, you don't expect them to come out too early, so you hope something else will show while you're waiting. A nice Marsh Harrier will do.

This looks like an immature one with just a hint of cream colour on the back of the head

A really good, close view

Not long after it disappears another Harrier appears over the reedbed

Now, there's a nice sighting - a ring-tailed Hen Harrier. Note the unperturbed Pheasant in the background. It must believe it is too big for the Harrier to tackle

Needless to say, it's not often I get one of these in the viewfinder and I kept snapping while it flew right by us 

A fabulous sighting. Of course, now I want a male!!! However, the next sighting was something quite different; a little fluffy thing.

Hope you got it right, it's a Weasel not a Stoat - short tail with no black tip. I don't know if you can tell but in this next photo it looks like it has a real scowl, like a mustelid version of Grumpy Cat Slight smile I don't care, I've not had either a Weasel or Stoat sighting this good for a couple of years!

You can see we've been spotted and it's thinking "What are all them humans doing in that big wooden box?"

And finally, I don't suppose I normally think of this as a predator but then it does hunt fish

The Shorties didn't come out at all (at least not that I saw) but I'm not complaining. It was still a day of lovely sightings

Parents Reply Children
No Data