Sparrowhawk hunting in the snow......

So I was standing watching the birds in the snow waiting for the kettle to boil for a much needed cup of tea....

Aw those poor creatures out in the snow....

a starling trying to get shelter and a bite to eat

tea is made then time to get back to work (fortunately for me that is at home). No sooner had I sat down then there was an almighty thud off the kitchen window. Birds tend to fly into my window alot even though I put things up at the window to try avoid it. I always dread going out the door afterward. 9 times out of 10 there is nothing there but today I didnt even get one foot out the door when I came face to face with a Sparrowhawk.....had to gently move and get my camera .....

I am glad it finally dragged its kill under the trees so I dont see it as I step out the door. 

• i love robins said:
    Had a Sparrowhawk on the wall at the bottom of my garden last Sunday, i had never seen one before so i can only think it had seen my bird feeders and they meant birds and lunch. Within seconds of me trying to find my camera it had flown off. Lovely to see though.

Aww, yes they can be gone in the blink of an eye but they tend to hang around my garden when they catch a meal as the garden is outlined with about 60 conifers  at one side so they have plenty cover to enjoy their meal in peace. Keep your eyes peeled because it will probably be back now it knows where the birds gather at your feeders. Keep that camera by the window ! Wink

• Linda257 said:
    Thanks Mike

As for the mapies whats for 25 because thats about the usual number that visits . I think they are trying to take over from the pigeon mafia

Still wishing for better camera shots...still learning but at least its fun learning.

Linda, from what I understand, as with most nursery rhythms and similar songs, there are many variations, though the standard ones seems to stop at ten.

However, I found this while doing a search, from the forum back in 2012: "14 Magpies What does 14 mean?"