Butterflies & Moths 2020

Hi All, I took an executive decision & decided to amalgamate the Butterfly & Moth threads which may make it easier to find if it's used more!

These are the old threads from 2019 Beautiful butterflies https://community.rspb.org.uk/wildlife/f/all-creatures/200195/beautiful-butterflies-2019#pifragment-4285=1

& Mostly Moths https://community.rspb.org.uk/wildlife/f/all-creatures/198118/mostly-moths-2019/1273216#pifragment-4285=1

To start us off here are a few from the recent traps & wine rope,

this is a lovely Satelite from the 8th january

• Two species I always mix-up H ... last caterpillar I had was damaged!

• I think Knot Grass as well, luckily I can provide them with a banquet of goodies :) I will keep you posted - and if I find them unruly I will turf them out

CinJ
  • Depends how many hatch, big numbers are hard to keep up with, it's the constant cleaning out that takes up the time ... i wouldn't try to raise more than a dozen!
  • I remember the PLs - we had them in our bedroom and you could hear them eating at night

CinJ
  • Its been a lot quieter around the garden in the past week but I did find this today on Marjoram this morning, I'm assuming a moth rather than a butterfly but help with ID would be very helpful please Wendy & Hazel

• I hope you don't mind me stepping in, Tony, but I think it's a Mint Moth though I'm sure Wendy or Hazel will correct me if I'm wrong :)
  • Hello Sandra, thank you for stepping in, just looked it up and totally agree with you, never knowingly seen or heard of one before. Interesting to read it likes mint and marjoram which is where I fond it this morning. The more the merrier with such knowledge thanks.
  • Oh great! You're very welcome, Tony.
  • Lots of Peacocks today, but mostly closed for some reason

• I think this could be titled 'Oh what a night'. - I set the trap out on Thursday evening not expecting a big catch as it was quite warm and bright.  I sat up for a bit and potted some little Ruby Tigers and listened to the the bats until the mossies got too much.  Friday morning I had a bit of a surprise there were moths everywhere!  I have managed to id 28 species so far, I lost quite a few as they were exiting the trap, the count was up in the 200's and the most prolific was Rosy Footman at 21..... and I missed some :). 

I will admit to being slightly overwhelmed by the quantity and I let a lot of micros fly as I just didn't have the ability to process them and was worried they might cook.  I was also disconcerted by the number of wasps in the trap.

First sight Stuck out tongue winking eye

Erik pointing out moths on the cloth

Whats in this egg box? oh wow - moths, beetles, the lady bird had already wandered off

A very Burnished Brass

Mother of Pearl were about in high numbers - such a pretty little moth 

More Four-spot footman - the girls were out on the town

2 Tigers 

A huge Garden Tiger - not seen one for years 

Jersey Tiger 

And to my joy my first ever  - I  want to shout and dance

Elephant Hawk moth

The balcony seems to be an ace moth spot.  

CinJ