Add your "Odds & Sods" here thread ... 2020

Starting with a first for me ... Sparrowhawk in neighbour's garden here in quarry, only ever seen a seemingly lost youngster many years ago!

Grabbed ID vid footage through d/glazed door, then battery died & by time I'd replaced it to go outside for better res a delivery driver stopped next door & frightened the bird off!! grrrrrr

Hope it's a one-off for the sake of my Spadger horde!

2019 thread here ... https://community.rspb.org.uk/wildlife/f/all-creatures/196421/add-your-odds-sods-here-thread/1275306#1275306

• Hazel, Love your beauty therapists--thanks!
  • I came across this shot from June last year. I didn't even see the bird until it got up when I was around 5 -6  yards from it. A quick snap at 400mm, then a hasty retreat. The bird settled back on the eggs a few minutes later. :-)

Ringed Plover nest.

• Someone shouted "Rudolph", then the shutter jammed just before he took to the air.!!  :-)

• lol, Paul. Don't think I've seen so many Carrotbills in one pic before either!
  • What?! Already, Paul?! Nooooo, I'm not ready for winter!
  • Paul A said:

Someone shouted "Rudolph", then the shutter jammed just before he took to the air.!!  :-)

My sincere apologies, one of the shots actually did work out.

Thank goodness ..... I was sure no-one was going to believe me.!! :-)

• Wish I had a camera like that!!!!!!!
  • Unusually, no birds or other wildlife or even fauna in these photos but we did a little more exploring of the area around our apartment which has 400 acres of well maintained parkland which is a haven for wildlife.     There are a lot of pathways so we have done a couple of walks of just over an hour each time..... we are lucky to have this beautiful area on our doorstep.   Quick record snaps mostly taken on the trusty old iPhone5.

the woodland is amazing,   I heard 3 buzzards, 3 jays, endless robins, wrens,  etc.....

Radnor lake was larger than I expected,  there were dozens of canada geese, tufted ducks and mallards on the water.

I will have to keep an eye open for rarities as it is a fantastic area for water birds. 

woodland opens up onto farmland

We are part of the Manchester Science Park where parkland surrounds the working offices and laboratories.    

Lighthouse is one of the buildings testing the covid samples.    

the parkland is very well looked after with a lot of new tree planting and nesting/roosting boxes for tit birds, kestrel, owls as well as bat boxes and I think this looks like a nest-box for Treecreepers.   The parkland owners (Bruntwood) have greatest consideration for wildlife at the top of their list and ask that people try stay out of the woodland at night as there are owls, bats and other nocturnal wildlife which call this area home.      We are so impressed with the maintenance, security and total respect for the natural environment by Alderley Park staff;  a lovely place to live and endless paths to explore.  

and then back to sit on the balcony with a cuppa and tuna sandwich !    

• What lovely surroundings you have Hazel...I think I could just sit on that beautiful balcony all day long!