Add your "Odds & Sods" here thread ... 2020

Starting with a first for me ... Sparrowhawk in neighbour's garden here in quarry, only ever seen a seemingly lost youngster many years ago!

Grabbed ID vid footage through d/glazed door, then battery died & by time I'd replaced it to go outside for better res a delivery driver stopped next door & frightened the bird off!! grrrrrr

Hope it's a one-off for the sake of my Spadger horde!

2019 thread here ... https://community.rspb.org.uk/wildlife/f/all-creatures/196421/add-your-odds-sods-here-thread/1275306#1275306

• Unknown said:
    I almost never see them in summer,

Thanks Nige. I almost never see them at all.

It came rampaging out of the reeds and I forgot that I wasn't set up on silent shooting. Two shots and it scurried back into the reeds.

I had to wait another half hour until a Mallard and two Moorhen youngsters milling about gave it the confidence to come back out again. Even then it just swam across in front of me and disappeared again into another reed bed. :-)

• Linda257 said:

I guess the worms were hiding on this occassion

The worms may be hiding, but the blackbird has got his cherry....

• Lovely updates all and well done on the Rail Paul, they are such elusive creatures - except for the one at Leighton Moss lol       Took a walk in Tatton Park today but two and half hours in the heat was a zapper and even though I heard an owl towards the end of our walk... our legs could not summon up energy to go investigate so all you get is photos of a Pied Wagtail and other sightings (no photos) of a Green yaffling Woodpecker and a Buzzard who was heading in wrong direction for photos !    Boy, it was hot out there today - phew !

firstly the bad shot of the Buzzard who did not oblige the camera as it headed off t'other way.    

Pied Waggie was somewhat confiding as long as I didn't get to close .....

then a bit of swearing Waggie style - hopefully cursing the boiling hot weather and not me  ! 

another waggie from the same group 

and a damselfly to finish

• Echoing Hazel, well done Paul, something I've still never seen :o(
    And nice shots around "the Park"... I reckon we were hotter than you (I went on a butterfly meander, but was home by 11!!) 32 degrees according to the car temp on the way home!
  • Lovely pics Hazel..2 1/2 hrs in that heat! wow...you did well!
    I think our parks shall be flooded up here! The storm kicked off about 3am this morning....was wonderful to watch as dont get thunder and lightning here often ..oh the rain was bouncing!...26 degrees of hazy sunshine for us today
  • Been reading about your stormy weather Linda & that sad train derailment caused by torrential rain & landslide they think!

• No garden any more but I bought a couple of multi-pot rattan planters and then visited the garden centre today for some bee/butterfly friendly plants and potted them all up this evening.    A lot more to do with the balcony terrace but will take our time.  

Two varieties of Echinacea (White Meditation,  Sunseekers in Tans Pink),  2 Stokesia "mini mels"  and 2 shrubs  -  Pieris (Little Heath) and one larger Pieris in the middle.