Add your "Odds & Sods" here thread ... 2020

Starting with a first for me ... Sparrowhawk in neighbour's garden here in quarry, only ever seen a seemingly lost youngster many years ago!

Grabbed ID vid footage through d/glazed door, then battery died & by time I'd replaced it to go outside for better res a delivery driver stopped next door & frightened the bird off!! grrrrrr

Hope it's a one-off for the sake of my Spadger horde!

2019 thread here ... https://community.rspb.org.uk/wildlife/f/all-creatures/196421/add-your-odds-sods-here-thread/1275306#1275306

• Seen on Twitter from RSPB Conwy, blue tits nesting in the overhead car park entrance post....

RSPB Conwy (@rspbconwy) tweeted at 11:51 am on Fri, May 22, 2020:
    As the reserve remains closed, so do our gates. Although we look forward to opening them again, these blue tits have seized an opportunity! Closed gates mean no disturbance to their unusual nesting location... our car park height barrier! Can you hear the hungry chicks inside?

https://t.co/PPtCFjamPd

• Just shows how resourceful these birds are, thanks for the post Mike.
  • Rochdale peregrine today, sadly did not show while I was there :( 

24mm

Not sure now :) 

3000mm

• Grezt captures JB, can you add them to Rochdale Peregrines thread to preserve?
  • The peregrine was taunting you....

Lovely capture. Thumbsup

• A quiet day yesterday, but I did see a buzzard gliding across the sky. Its nice to see buzzards back, even though they're distant. This is a cropped image.

However, it wasn't until I was sorting the photos out (next one uncropped), did I see what might have been its prey, a swift in the top left corner!

• Come in and help yourself why don't you.

• Haha I have a robin and a blackbird who do that, I here the Robin’s wings fluttering before I see him
  • Lol Tony, lovely photo, they get bold as brass when they are feeding young - you better keep a padlock on your fridge !!!
  • House Sparrows are getting a little too fond of live mealworms,  first they monopolise the sun loungers in the courtyard waiting for breakfast and then they wait for me to scrub down the courtyard daily to get rid of their droppings before putting fresh seed and mealies down and if that wasn't enough I have one female (who is quickly teaching the others) who perches on the door handle begging for more mealies when they run out   LOL  

How can you say no to this emotional blackmail   !!! ………..

If the right handle doesn't draw attention,   then try the left one  !!

and if that doesn't work...….. head up above the door to the high window and look down to see if you can grab the attention of the humans with the mealie stash  !

and if none of the above works...…………… then just shout and stick your tongue out at the humans   !

You've gotta laugh at them - they learn quickly……..  and yes, she usually wins with her charm although I am going to have to be cruel to be kind once she has managed to get her nestlings to fledge which should happen any day now ......….as we won't be here after 12th June and I want to break off the feeding before then.