Kestrels in the Quarry 2020/21/breaking news 1st Oct 2022

New male who I've named Colin gave us a miss over Xmas & New Year's day so was very pleased to see him this afternoon, giving me a reason to start new thread in the hope there's some romance this year!

Grim & grey day here so light was bad for pics @ almost 15.00

Resolution in vid was a great improvement ... he looks almost too pretty to be a boy!!  Trademark ending though ... start as you mean to go on!

• Hello Wendy,

I've just discovered this thread having searched for kestrels on here. We were very excited to spot one in the mature bitternut hickory tree in our garden the other day (we are based in the NW suburbs of Paris, but have a large wooded garden on a hill). We identified it as a female or a juvenile/immature male from its colours. Alas I don't have a good enough camera to have got a picture, but with binoculars we could see her/him very clearly.

So I am now interested in learning about everything kestrel-related. Your video and pictures are fantastic. I look forward to following your thread...
  • Hi Wendy, I watched the video yesterday & then got distracted (as one does) so just to say a very Happy New Year & glad to see that your boy is back & pooping for England!
  • Hello Cigaline, welcome to the forum from the very top of Scotland. The kesterel is a lovely bird and you will certainly see lovely videos and photos from Wendy, of the new Colin and hopefully his misses when she may arrive! It sounds that you have a nice place to stay and are lucky to have a kesterel visit. Hope you enjoy here.
  • Bonne annee H, hope it's a healthy one too!
  • Hi cigaline & warm welcome to my thread!
    I moved into this chalk quarry in 2006 & the Kestrels were already here with their nesthole in the cliff face opposite my house ... lucky enough to see four chicks fledge almost every year until 2012 when I got my first decent camera with enough zoom to record their antics!
    Alas, in 2013 the nest failed during heavy rains & a dramatic rescue was arranged to save the last remaining chick!

Since then there have been no more eggs laid following abandoned pairing in 2014 ... but always had a good number of visits by a male, Mr K, who liked to eat his prey on top of telegraph pole adjacent to nesthole! He was usurped during last year by a new, younger looking, male who I finally named Colin ... his visits are less frequent!
    During the lean years I have only witnessed a couple of visits from females ... I still live in hope of another successful nest here?

• Thanks Wendy and Catlady!

It's nice to have the background story as I can see that it's a thread that's been going for a long time. It's a shame about the nest, but good that the kestrels are still visiting.

My grandfather was born at RAF Manston so I have a loose connection with the area, which is nice.
    Btw, I am about to give birth myself in February so if I disappear abruptly that would be why!
  • What a lovely coincidence cigaline, expect you know that Manston Airport is no longer operating, such a great shame as I personally miss the planes which never bothered the birds one bit ... please try to let us know about your baby ... in between feeds & nappy changes of course! Lol & good luck

• Welcome to the forum, cigaline, from the Surrey/Hampshire border. I've been following Wendy's Kestrels for several years, back to the survivor of the rains many years ago. I love birds, particularly birds of prey, but I avidly follow many of the threads on this RSPB online community. This is a great place to learn about birds since many of the regular posters are experienced and helpful birders and take great photos as well. If you have any questions, several people will fairly soon offer their thoughts and suggestions.
  • Thank you Wendy, I will definitely try to, if I'm not too delirious from sleep deprivation!
  • On this diabolical day of storm Brendan wreaking his havoc I came across Colin @ 13.52 in nesthole ... poor record pic through wet d/glazing as wind was trying to carry cam & tripod away outside!  He flew off shortly after but has since returned & currently still sheltering (16.13) but too murky for any more pics!