Kestrels in the Quarry 2020/21/breaking news 1st Oct 2022

New male who I've named Colin gave us a miss over Xmas & New Year's day so was very pleased to see him this afternoon, giving me a reason to start new thread in the hope there's some romance this year!

Grim & grey day here so light was bad for pics @ almost 15.00

Resolution in vid was a great improvement ... he looks almost too pretty to be a boy!!  Trademark ending though ... start as you mean to go on!

• Thanks everyone for pics and posts!

Scylla, You probably know that a Sparrow Hawk, a Goshawk and some Owls would happily take a Jackdaw (I've read that, amazingly, a Little Owl will take a Jay!)--needn't be an Eagle--lol!.
  • Thank you for the moth research, WENDY - needless to say I shan't remember those names Yum 

GARDENBIRDER, thank you for putting me back in line - I was being a drama queen Grin 

Late afternoon/early evening there was rain and thunder - just for the record ;)

• The Jackdaws investigated early in the morning - first, I think, a young one:

Then a baleful adult Grinning

• Good thing that mouse doesn't know what has gone before!!!
  • Dad (I think) came calling very early this morning in the wind and rain - he looked quite worried  Kissing heart 

A Jackdaw turned up at its usual hole just before 06:30 but no other birds early on...

...in fact, no other birds seen all day up to 20:26.

• It appeared to rain all day and evening, and a rather bedraggled male turned up @ 21:07, once again calling - is he looking for the female and has something happened to her?  Just speculating here ;)

Calling into the cavity on arrival:

I never spotted any Jackdaws since that early-morning one up to 00:57 - but it was not an easy ride, what with raindrops and smudges.

• Mouse appeared in the early hours, this is rough cut and brightened - almost NO MOTHS seen overnight:

MrK was here at noon calling for his family.  I cut it down roughly but didn't do the sound, sorry but am sniffly and v tired so probably have you-know-what and am at death's door *drama queen* Grin 

Rain, rain, rain.

• Do they stick together usually? if so doesn't bode well.
  • gaynorsl said:
    Do they stick together usually? if so doesn't bode well.

Yes, a couple usually stays together for years, Gaynor, barring "accidents" :)  

MrsK made up for her absence yesterday, with several visits from late afternoon onwards, she tested the cavity and is staying the night on her fave resting place on the ledge.

Long video!

No time/energy for pretty portraits, tho she does deserve at least one :'( 

• Mouse was back in the early hours, good job MrsK was asleep ;)

MrsK left @ 04:11:

The first Jackdaw arrived on the roof a few minutes before 05:00.  Later, they entered the cavity a 2-3 times, here's one:

Eeeek!  I must be under the weather, this post has been sitting here since this morning... so I'll take us up to 18:00.

No birds whatsoever up to gone 16:00, then just Jackdaws - and I've been hoping to get a snappable rabbit but they won't come close enough: