Kestrels in the Quarry 2020/21/breaking news 1st Oct 2022

New male who I've named Colin gave us a miss over Xmas & New Year's day so was very pleased to see him this afternoon, giving me a reason to start new thread in the hope there's some romance this year!

Grim & grey day here so light was bad for pics @ almost 15.00

Resolution in vid was a great improvement ... he looks almost too pretty to be a boy!!  Trademark ending though ... start as you mean to go on!

• I only did a slideshow for yesterday, being a bit pushed ;)  The light/focus wasn't terribly good all day.

• Tuesday 26th

Plenty to eat.

And MrsK didn't feel the need to brood the eyases every non-eating minute:

Wednesday 27th

Not nearly as much brooding, and at 04:30 she was outside having a look around:

To be continued...

• We now have a camera on the outside of the barn. Mum will likely want to spend more time away from the kids!... But remain on guard.

https://www.carnyx.tv/LiveCameras/WildlifeCameras/YorkshireDales.aspx

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wuy1ZyXR9q0

• As we still have 5 heads, I'm going to delete the 27th and 28th - I'm not able to keep up with all the nests.

• You will notice that at least once a day the camera gets hit by the proverbial!. This is expected as the camera hole is very very very small. The camera is in the only place it can be. It has been housed in a specially constructed ball on a central pivot, so can be swiveled round on its axis for cleaning. The chicks are none the wiser.
  • As long as they don't completely obliterate our view then we'll forgive them! Lol
  • Some prey-drops:

They are constantly harassed, here was a corvid bouncing off the entrance:

• This owl (no idea what type) was perched on the wall for much longer than I've shown.  What a surprise it got!  I can't find it on the inside view, and in any case I think MrsK would have been blocking the view.

EDIT - Found the inside view.

The episode started @ 00:15 when MrsK dashed back into the depths when something frightened her, it just shows as a feathery scrap in the outside vid... she stood over the eyases and then darted to the entrance when the owl landed.

An hour and a half earlier someone had been perched on the cam:

• There are lots of cubby-holes in the wall providing shelter at the very least. 

(From the previous daytime.)

This bird came out of one further along:

There's at least a pair using it:

This was a corvid attack, it's turning away at the last split second: