Australian (NSW) birds - update 27th Sept. 2020

My brother from Australia sent me through a lot more photos of the birdlife in his area of New South Wales;   some are same species you have already seen from his previous photos (but different shots)  and there are some new bird species we haven't seen as well.    As there are a lot of pics I will download them in batches a few at a time;   fortunately he has named the species for us which makes my life a lot easier  lol      Having seen these photos,  I think a trip to Australia is now moving up the list    ha ha !!        

You will have seen the recent news of serious and extensive bush fires currently around Australia (particularly NSW and Victoria) which has had a serious impact not only on humans, property, habitat but also the wildlife.    We were living there (but holidaying in UK) when the last devastating/fatal bush fires occurred in Victoria (Black Sunday - February 2009)  which destroyed my brother's previous residence in Victoria;    so I will start with a photo of his old house from 2009  (he had moved from there just over a year before this fire took place and after he moved to NSW)  but knowing his old house so well it was sickening to see there was nothing left of it - except the remnants of the washing machine and the bathtub.     I remember when Mike and I re-varnished the decking area for my brother which gave such superb views of the Yarra Valley beneath and there was nothing left as the fire has swept up from the valley below with such ferocity.  These fires spread so quickly you have to ensure you evacuate well in time as even a car often can't outrun the speed of these fires as they are so often accompanied by strong winds :(     

You can probably make out the view we used to have down to the Yarra Valley beneath...…   it was even more spectacular when you stood on the decking towards the back of the property.

Now for more pleasant memories and the New South Wales birdlife:  

I have to start with this enchanting little Wren that just made me smile when I saw it  !!        A Red-backed Fairy-wren

the always popular Kookaburra which is a member of the Kingfisher family of birds.

Dollarbird    -   it looks oddly out of proportion ! 

Blue-faced Honeyeater 

Cuckoo-shrike  

Eastern Rosella 

Eastern Spinebill 

more to come after a cuppa  !!    there will be eagles, ospreys, godwits and other amazing birds ……..

• Devestating news re the old & new fires aitch as well as the loss of life, human & wild ... it's gonna take a long time to recover ... but thanks to you & your Bro for these wonderful pics!

• What scenes of utter devastation just as we are now seeing on our TV screens. The Australian PM seems to be in complete denial that these bush fires have anything to do with climate change. Too much by way of vested interest I guess. I hadn't realised that Australia are the biggest exporters of coal, mainly to China I believe..
    I seem to remember your brother lives in northern NSW. Is he in danger from the latest bush fires or are they all south of him?
    Beautiful photos of birds that are so different from anything we see in the northern hemisphere. I suppose they have evolved very differently because Australia has been isolated as a continent for so many millions of years.
  • Very nice pictures of the birds from your Brother Hazel, but sadly not of the fires that are causing so much damage :(
  • Unknown said:
    I seem to remember your brother lives in northern NSW. Is he in danger from the latest bush fires or are they all south of him?

You remember well Tony,    yes, he and his family moved up to Northern Rivers Area and are close to a coastal area;   they have had warnings to be on standby/prepare to evacuate a couple of times but most of the serious fires are a little further inland.   Sometimes when you see the tv news it is hard to comprehend the enormity of the fires although in our time in Australia we did see the results of bush fire and also the devastating cyclone (Larry) up in Queensland when we arrived two days after it came through.    Climate change should be taken more serious by politicians and heads of state around the world;   like with UK politics, Australians are also suffering ! 

Ok, back to the bird photos and here's the next batch ………….     Australian Magpie 

Australian Magpie-lark 

Bar-shouldered dove 

Black-faced Cuckoo Shrike 

Blue-faced Honeyeater

Brown Honeyeater

Fuscous Honeyeater 

Double-barred Finch

Lewins Honeyeater

Figbird

Galah

Brown Quail

Olive-backed Oriole

Grey-crowned Babbler

Crested pigeon 

Mistletoe bird

OK, another break ……………  lots more to come including a Brahminy Kite ! 

• Round 3  .……………..    and here's your Brahminy Kite 

Australian Pelican

Brolga

Darter    (not a dragonfly  ! )

Little black Cormorant 

Little pied Cormorant 

Masked Lapwing

Intermediate Egret 

and especially for Ann and all Ospreyholics  !   

love the fish draped over the branch    lol 

fish tail  !!  

Crested Tern

Purple Swamhen

Spotted Harrier 

Square-tailed Kite 

White-bellied Sea Eagle 

Phone call ……………...back in a bit   !!! 

• A fantastic thread about the birds of Australia/NSW, Hazel .They're all wonderful. . The Red-backed Fairywren, the Crested Pigeon,,, many surprising birds that I hadn't seen before. Great to have a brother living there.
    I hope those fires will be under control soon. Horrible to see the burned down place of your brother , I bet it was wonderful (with that great outlook). And to think this already happened 10 years ago... I really hope his house is save this time.
  • Wonderful pictures Hazy, such a variety of birds all so colourful, again I worry about them and the animals with the terrible fire ravishing the area, horrible to see on the news tonight. I can't imagine how it would be to lose your home like that with absolutely nothing to be done to save anything.
    The Bottlebrush is tempting some lovely birds, the honeyeater and eastern spinebill can come over here any time for a taste of the two I have in the garden. The square tailed kite is a cracker.
  • Some stunning pics of stunning birds there Hazel, lucky brother!! Not sure beautiful birds would out weigh deadly spiders/snakes etc for me lol
  • Ok,  ready for round 4  ?   sorry if you are getting an overdose of Aussie birds !         

Bar-tailed Godwit 

more Crested Terns 

Pied Oystercatcher

Rainbow bee-eater

didn't realise they had a streamer 

Ruddy turnstones

Spotted Turtledove 

Striated Heron 

Little Wattlebird 

Sacred Ibis

Rufous Whistler

Bit hidden by twigs but this is a Rose-crowned fruit dove 

Welcome Swallow

Silvereye

Richards Pipit 

Fairy-wren

White-faced Heron

Wedge tailed Eagle 

White-cheeked Honeyeater

Pied Currawong

Tawny Frogmouth

White-breasted Wood Swallow 

That's it for now but will look for any others I've missed !     

• Wow Hazy, birds & photography must run in your family, fabulous photographs.
    It's so sad to see the devestation caused by the fires & personally I can't understand why the army & help from overseas has not been used from the outset. It's like nobody in charge seemed to be taking it seriously. Mankind has a lot to answer for & I hope it's not too late to reverse the process. Too late for the dead wildlife though.