Australian (NSW) birds - update 27th Sept. 2020

My brother from Australia sent me through a lot more photos of the birdlife in his area of New South Wales;   some are same species you have already seen from his previous photos (but different shots)  and there are some new bird species we haven't seen as well.    As there are a lot of pics I will download them in batches a few at a time;   fortunately he has named the species for us which makes my life a lot easier  lol      Having seen these photos,  I think a trip to Australia is now moving up the list    ha ha !!        

You will have seen the recent news of serious and extensive bush fires currently around Australia (particularly NSW and Victoria) which has had a serious impact not only on humans, property, habitat but also the wildlife.    We were living there (but holidaying in UK) when the last devastating/fatal bush fires occurred in Victoria (Black Sunday - February 2009)  which destroyed my brother's previous residence in Victoria;    so I will start with a photo of his old house from 2009  (he had moved from there just over a year before this fire took place and after he moved to NSW)  but knowing his old house so well it was sickening to see there was nothing left of it - except the remnants of the washing machine and the bathtub.     I remember when Mike and I re-varnished the decking area for my brother which gave such superb views of the Yarra Valley beneath and there was nothing left as the fire has swept up from the valley below with such ferocity.  These fires spread so quickly you have to ensure you evacuate well in time as even a car often can't outrun the speed of these fires as they are so often accompanied by strong winds :(     

You can probably make out the view we used to have down to the Yarra Valley beneath...…   it was even more spectacular when you stood on the decking towards the back of the property.

Now for more pleasant memories and the New South Wales birdlife:  

I have to start with this enchanting little Wren that just made me smile when I saw it  !!        A Red-backed Fairy-wren

the always popular Kookaburra which is a member of the Kingfisher family of birds.

Dollarbird    -   it looks oddly out of proportion ! 

Blue-faced Honeyeater 

Cuckoo-shrike  

Eastern Rosella 

Eastern Spinebill 

more to come after a cuppa  !!    there will be eagles, ospreys, godwits and other amazing birds ……..

• Thanks folks,  

PimperneBloke said:
    do the two Tawny Grassbirds look different to each other, or is it just me?

I will have to check the ID again PB,  you are right, they look like different birds so I may have put the wrong name in when uploading them.  Good spotting as I hadn't noticed.  

post edit:    indeed it is a different bird,    so I have corrected the two different species of Grassbird;   one is Tawny and the other is Little Grassbird.    Thanks PB.   

• Oh, Hazel, many thanks to you and to your brother for the new set of photos! Gorgeous birds and fabulous photos! They are all beautiful, but of course, particularly the Osprey--lol! (But you knew I'd say that!) Sorry that you have to delay your visit to your brother, but all being well, I hope you can travel sometime in the next year if possible, especially if a vaccine has been produced before then so that travel is less worrying. In the meantime, you can occupy yourself with local birding and organising your new flat once the carpets are in and the rest of your belongings have arrived from storage. That way you will come home from Australia to a place which is exactly as you want it to be rather than having to worry about what you might need to do next after a lovely trip to see your brother and family in Australia.

• Cracking set of photos Hazel, thank you brother. All lovely and the colours are beautiful. I like the spotted harrier and the fairy wren looks like it has had pipe cleaners stuck on its rear, it's tail is so upright!!

• Thanks everyone, I'll tell Graham, he will be pleased you enjoyed the photos and a bit of different jizz from Australia (Northern Rivers/Clarence Valley, NSW)

• I missed your update, Hazel. All I can say is WOW, what stunning birds they have in northern NSW. It helps that your brother is such a good photographer.
    Such a shame that any visit you may have planned is now on hold. This lockdown can't last forever so let's hope ......
  • Many thanks Tony, they are lucky to get such amazing variety out there and I can't wait for the day I can join Graham on a birding adventure as I think I've converted him to bird watching lol He's heading off for a couple of days fishing this week with his family a bit further south and my niece said it was a bit of a trek of 7km. out to the fishing "spit" area so there were decisions to be made as to what to carry with regard to fishing rods and photo-gear; I told him share the fishing rod and take the camera and lenses LOL I think the hump-backed whales are heading back up the eastern seaboard with their offspring. I remember seeing a hump-back whale breaching in the water once when I fished on the Victorian coastline - something I will never forget. Amazing how close in to shore they get sometimes and the odd one has found its way in to the Melbourne "horseshoe shaped" harbour area. We often used to fish off the piers and watch dolphins rounding up the fish we were meant to catch lol    Happy days and fond memories galore.

• Was just checking Instagram (as I don't usually do social media - the RSPB is the nearest I get ! )  and noticed my brother has added a couple more pics of birds from his home area of northern NSW....

Eastern Spinebill         what a gorgeous photo,  so proud of my brother !    I'd be out there this year (or next year) to join him on his photographic adventures if it wasn't for the wretched Covid19 pandemic   :( 

and a Buff-banded Rail

Scarlet Honeyeater 

Superb Fairy-wren

• More absolute stunners. I'm not jealous at all!!
  • Wonderful photos again from your brother Hazy, I bet you are feeling the urge to visit when you look at those gorgeous birds just waiting for you.
  • Some wonderful variations on the bird theme ... at least the Rail is recognisable as a relative of ours!