Australian (NSW) birds - update 27th Sept. 2020

My brother from Australia sent me through a lot more photos of the birdlife in his area of New South Wales;   some are same species you have already seen from his previous photos (but different shots)  and there are some new bird species we haven't seen as well.    As there are a lot of pics I will download them in batches a few at a time;   fortunately he has named the species for us which makes my life a lot easier  lol      Having seen these photos,  I think a trip to Australia is now moving up the list    ha ha !!        

You will have seen the recent news of serious and extensive bush fires currently around Australia (particularly NSW and Victoria) which has had a serious impact not only on humans, property, habitat but also the wildlife.    We were living there (but holidaying in UK) when the last devastating/fatal bush fires occurred in Victoria (Black Sunday - February 2009)  which destroyed my brother's previous residence in Victoria;    so I will start with a photo of his old house from 2009  (he had moved from there just over a year before this fire took place and after he moved to NSW)  but knowing his old house so well it was sickening to see there was nothing left of it - except the remnants of the washing machine and the bathtub.     I remember when Mike and I re-varnished the decking area for my brother which gave such superb views of the Yarra Valley beneath and there was nothing left as the fire has swept up from the valley below with such ferocity.  These fires spread so quickly you have to ensure you evacuate well in time as even a car often can't outrun the speed of these fires as they are so often accompanied by strong winds :(     

You can probably make out the view we used to have down to the Yarra Valley beneath...…   it was even more spectacular when you stood on the decking towards the back of the property.

Now for more pleasant memories and the New South Wales birdlife:  

I have to start with this enchanting little Wren that just made me smile when I saw it  !!        A Red-backed Fairy-wren

the always popular Kookaburra which is a member of the Kingfisher family of birds.

Dollarbird    -   it looks oddly out of proportion ! 

Blue-faced Honeyeater 

Cuckoo-shrike  

Eastern Rosella 

Eastern Spinebill 

more to come after a cuppa  !!    there will be eagles, ospreys, godwits and other amazing birds ……..

• A wonderful collection Hazel! Especially love the White- faced Heron -and the Bee Eaters, of course.
    Don't think we'd get enough of this. Smiley
  • The frogmouths are incredible birds. Wonder, if they're somehow related to owls or maybe to nightjars?
  • Mart 1 said:
    The frogmouths are incredible birds. Wonder, if they're somehow related to owls or maybe to nightjars?

As I recently read:

question:    "When is an Owl not an Owl"  ?       answer:   "When it's a Tawny frogmouth"    !!!    

They are closer related to Nightjars and the Kookaburra (kingfisher) type bird.

• Glad to hear your brother isn't too badly affected
    A wonderful collection of Aussie birds. Lets hope there are still as many after the ravages.
  • Thanks a lot Hazel- learned something again :-))

The photos of the Red-bellied Sea-Eagle ( what a colourful raptor!) and Firetail are fascinating .

I saw some horrible videos of Koalas burning in the fires, still walking.Aswell some whose burning-wounds were cared for.It hurt watching. The horrible thing is that many animals who survived the actual fires will starve and die of thirst now because their habitats are wasted. it´s a tragedy... and it happens at least on the same scale in Brazil , too- we just hear even less of it...

• My brother is keeping true to his promise and sending us more photos of birds from northern New South Wales, Australia so here are some more piccies for you ………

Starting with one for MC (Paul)  which is an Eastern Yellow Robin 

Black-shouldered Kite 

Leaden Flycatcher 

Osprey for Ann !

Brown Honeyeater 

Apparently these are Glossy Ibis ………..

Great Egret

Intermediate Egret ……...

Little Wattle-bird

Topknot Pigeon   !!

Varied Triller ……..

same species  (Varied Triller)

Spotted Turtle-dove

Pheasant Coucal

Rainbow Lorikeet 

White-bellied Sea Eagle

White-headed pigeon

Yellow-tailed Black Cockatoo

Local bush area ………..      

and I need help with ID-ing this one - was listed as an Owl but doesn't look like one    lol   

……………………. Help Rob  !! 

• They certainly do get some fabulous looking birds there, Hazel, keep them coming as and when you get them :o)
  • Thanks both, @ Wendy, agree that it does look like an Osprey although I was looking for more brown feathers at the side of it's eye area;   he does get good views of them out there; maybe one day I'll go out there and find those ospreys for myself lol

• Another good selection. That's quite a good number of species he gets considering they are all local. Don't tell the other Hazel he gets photos of Black-shouldered Kites when she's still looking to improve hers!