Sunrises and Sunsets 2020; Share your photos here

Happy New Year all

I know you’ve enjoyed sharing your sunrise and sunset photos, and a good many have enjoyed seeing the photos and experiences posted, so here is this year’s thread.

First, thank you to all who have shared their photos for 2019, not just in the UK, but from other countries also, I’m sure you’ll agree, they have all been fabulous.

Last year’s thread is here:

https://community.rspb.org.uk/chat/f/the-tea-rooms/200216/sunrises-and-sunsets-2019-share-your-photos-here/1274307#pifragment-4313=1

and the initial thread here, which started as

Autumn Sunrises and Sunsets share your photos here

https://community.rspb.org.uk/chat/f/the-tea-rooms/197615/autumn-sunrises-and-sunsets-share-your-photos-here/1223270#pifragment-4313=1

To save Hazy the pressure of missing a sunrise, here is the first of my contributions for 2020.

Can you see the sun? 

It is there, honest!

• great photos Gaynor, such wonderful colours. It's hard to sleep peacefully with what's going on; I have my Kindle by the bedside and often have Amazon Alexa play some relaxing orchestral music on low volume ! I'm in danger of getting up before Alan these days LOL

• Thanks Hazy, no wonder you don't relax with the move on your mind too. Can't be easy for you both. I have a Kindle on the way, should be here tomorrow, can't do without a book. Funnily Alan crossed my mind too this morning at that unearthly but beautiful hour. Where is he these days? I have missed his posts.
  • Lovely colours

gaynorsl said:
    How come they are different colours? taken at the same time and I didn't alter settings, except to zoom in maybe

The camera is always trying to average light out to get the best exposure. Having more light or dark things in the viewfinder changes that average and therefore what the camera does. You probably don't have different colours but different levels of brightness as the camera works with a different average. 

There are reasons why colour could change (called White Balance) but we should probably leave that for another day!

• gaynorsl said:
    Funnily Alan crossed my mind too this morning at that unearthly but beautiful hour. Where is he these days? I have missed his posts.

Alan's monitoring the Peregrines these days but I'll page him for you as it's about time he showed up     LOL       "MESSAGE FOR ALAN ….. PLEASE PICK UP YOUR PAGER "      !!!    

• Hazel and Gaynor, A short while ago another female appeared at the Sheffield Peregrine nest (which Alan had not long before that said he was restricting himself to). He said he could not take another season with a disturbed nest (not his exact words but words to that effect) because the current female was just about to lay eggs. She had intruded at the Sheffield nest only last year and chased out the then female who had already laid eggs. The nest failed and the male spent the rest of the season placating this female. She is a very large one. However, after Alan stopped posting, the new intruder did not reappear or at least I haven't heard about it and it seems that this nest might be alright, fingers crossed. Don't know if Alan knows that or not. Wendy was the last person to post on the Sheffield Peregrine thread only about an hour and a half ago. I've just looked and the female is sitting on the edge of the nest box but I cannot yet see any eggs.

• Thanks Ann, Hopefully the nest will be more successful this year; I don't follow the Peregrine, Osprey or Owl threads, only catching up with the occasional update now and again; maybe with the restrictions imposed on us all there will be more time to follow more threads ! I'm not a fan of screen captures unless they are showing specific updates like a new egg laid or chicks hatching, etc., Now I can feel the rotten tomatoes being thrown at me LOL I hope all the birds have an uninterrupted and successful breeding season.
  • First of all thank you Nigel, I understand that now, good explanation. I do have a book given to me by my son, hardback, huge and not one I delve into!! White balance chapter skipped (maybe now there will be time), I think WJ gives an easier instruction on using the camera, must have another go.

Hazy I'm glad to hear that Alan is busy and still birding, maybe he will post a few of his walks and birds once more.

Ann thanks for the update also, I understand how you all love to watch the raptors in the breeding season, I did watch a pair of ravens a few years ago and yes it can get interesting and sure it is lovely to see the chicks grow and leave the nest, but I haven't had the time til now to participate in their daily routines, probably not patient enough either. As Hazy says, that might alter as this year progresses.
  • Unknown said:

Lovely colours

gaynorsl said:
    How come they are different colours? taken at the same time and I didn't alter settings, except to zoom in maybe

The camera is always trying to average light out to get the best exposure. Having more light or dark things in the viewfinder changes that average and therefore what the camera does. You probably don't have different colours but different levels of brightness as the camera works with a different average. 

There are reasons why colour could change (called White Balance) but we should probably leave that for another day!

Also to add, very often the colours of any sunrise or sunset are dictated by the amount of cloud and dust movement/proximity. Though it might not appear so, the cloud (and dust particles) is constantly moving, so is the sun, which will change the angle of light and refraction, and can be why in a matter of a second, you can lose or gain the perfect colours for a photo.

I find it fascinating watching how the colours can evolve, and it can be at the expense of too many photos.....

• Brilliant Mike, now I can always blame the...cloud, dust, movement etc for all my mistakes!!!!!

Just dashed outside as I caught sight of the moon through the window - think it is a new moon?

Pleased with that

My second shot is a BOGOF   lol

tried to download a couple more, one of the very bright star, is it Venus or the North Star shining out there so brightly? , but for some reason it isn't downloading any more.  

• Love the latest photos so keep them coming folks.