New to community

Hi everyone am new to the community been birdwatching for many years now i used to have a really great pair of binoculars 9x40 specs unfortunately these eventually fell apart after years of use ! I have been looking at 8x56 binoculars to replace the old binoculars as 9x40s dont seem to exist anymore ! Tried the usual 10x40s but they are not a patch on the old 9x40s ! Does anyone out there have 8x65 binoculars and if so are they good for birdwatching

• Hello Steve, you don't say what make and model binoculars you have used, so it's a little hard to advise.

All will depend primarily on your budget, followed by what you desire to see and abilities.

There are a number of small binoculars on the market, ranging from budget brands through to the respectable named brands.

Probably the best advice I can give would be to visit one of the RSPB Reserves which has a shop and visitor centre, many of which will have a facility where you can try and buy binoculars supported by good advice.

Steve G said:

Hi everyone am new to the community been birdwatching for many years now i used to have a really great pair of binoculars 9x40 specs unfortunately these eventually fell apart after years of use ! I have been looking at 8x56 binoculars to replace the old binoculars as 9x40s dont seem to exist anymore ! Tried the usual 10x40s but they are not a patch on the old 9x40s ! Does anyone out there have 8x65 binoculars and if so are they good for birdwatching

Mike

Flickr Peak Rambler

• Hi Steve welcome to the community from Sheffield.
    I'm too clumsy to have an expensive set of bins so use a pair of 10x42 at about £100.
    What make were your 9x40s ?
    I suppose even at 8x56 will depend on price = quality.

My Flickr photos

• Hi everyone been busy so only just had chance to catch up those old binoculars i cannot remember the manufacturers name but they were bought while on holiday in Devon they were the best binoculars i have ever had 9x40 seems to be a discontinued spec nowadays any search online comes up with either rifle scopes or second hand binoculars and only two of those !! I dont want to purchase a second hand set as you dont know the condition until they arrive by post then you have the hassle of sending them back if you can ! Regarding the 8x56 binoculars they range from around £120 upward am looking at medium range cost roughly around the £250 mark but depends on info received from people as to wether i buy that spec ! Have tried numerous 10 x binoculars but i find these are not as clear as my old binoculars ! Maybe i will end up calling at a shop to try out the 8x56 binos but if anyone out there uses a pair of these type i would appreciate feed back on the performancej ! ust remembered those 9x40s where labelled as made by Ventura Naturalist . 9 x 40 wide angle 420 ft. at 1000 yrds! There was a set for sale on Oxfams website but they had been sold !
  • Hi everyone been busy so only just had chance to catch up those old binoculars i cannot remember the manufacturers name but they were bought while on holiday in Devon they were the best binoculars i have ever had 9x40 seems to be a discontinued spec nowadays any search online comes up with either rifle scopes or second hand binoculars and only two of those !! I dont want to purchase a second hand set as you dont know the condition until they arrive by post then you have the hassle of sending them back if you can ! Regarding the 8x56 binoculars they range from around £120 upward am looking at medium range cost roughly around the £250 mark but depends on info received from people as to wether i buy that spec ! Have tried numerous 10 x binoculars but i find these are not as clear as my old binoculars ! Maybe i will end up calling at a shop to try out the 8x56 binos but if anyone out there uses a pair of these type i would appreciate feed back on the performancej ! ust remembered those 9x40s where labelled as made by Ventura Naturalist . 9 x 40 wide angle 420 ft. at 1000 yrds! There was a set for sale on Oxfams website but they had been sold !