The garden can be just as active as a reserve!

I ran out of time the other day to share the following photos with you.

Like a good many of you, we have a selection of feeders in the garden and at times, a very interesting selection of visitors, at all times of the day.

So, dodging the rain drops, (reminds me of the Sacha Distel hit back in 19??), blue tits, coal tits, dunnock and robin, were all filling their little bellies...

A very shy robin!

Though it didn't fly off when I moved nearer this time, unlike earlier....

A blue tit waiting for the all clear, safe to go....

A coal tit surveying the lie of the land, and safety...

Also a dunnock sizing up how safe things are....

And finally, the robin became a little braver, and was prepared to get a little closer, but that was close enough....

• Great photos of your garden birds and good to see the restaurant patrons surveying the menu on offer !
  • We spend a lot of time looking at the antics of our garden birds, & you get such good views of them too! Lovely photos Mike.
  • A good collection all round and you have caught the Coal Tit in a lovely pose
  • I think the garden birds are often overlooked in the pleasure they can bring if people would just stop a while a watch. Fab set Mike
  • I love our garden birds and delight in watching them. Was thrilled today to have good views of a Great Spotted Woodpecker who was taking advantage of our suet blocks; he tasted both of them. Also I have recently seen a Crow chasing Wood Pigeons out of the garden and a few days later I watched a Crow chasing Squirrels on the lawn. Two other Crows seem to be afraid of the Grey Squirrels and are chased off by them. I had never before seen any of those Crow behaviours.
  • Unknown said:
    Great photos of your garden birds and good to see the restaurant patrons surveying the menu on offer !

Thank you Hazel.

If for any reason I'm not able to get out, the garden often provides recompense.

• Hazel C said:
    We spend a lot of time looking at the antics of our garden birds, & you get such good views of them too! Lovely photos Mike.

Thank you

We do here also.

The feeder in this set of photos is just nicely in view of the kitchen window, (though the photos were taken from the garden side), and Mrs PR loves watching the birds when she's busy in the kitchen.

• Unknown said:
    A good collection all round and you have caught the Coal Tit in a lovely pose

Thank you Nige.

The coal tits, of which we seem to have an abundance of, generally have been great posers this year.

• PimperneBloke said:
    I think the garden birds are often overlooked in the pleasure they can bring if people would just stop a while a watch. Fab set Mike

Thank you PB.

They van be very overlooked. Pre-accident I did observe, but not quite as much as I have since. The garden does provide some recompense for the days I'm not able to get out, mainly due to my leg than the weather.

• Unknown said:
    I love our garden birds and delight in watching them. Was thrilled today to have good views of a Great Spotted Woodpecker who was taking advantage of our suet blocks; he tasted both of them. Also I have recently seen a Crow chasing Wood Pigeons out of the garden and a few days later I watched a Crow chasing Squirrels on the lawn. Two other Crows seem to be afraid of the Grey Squirrels and are chased off by them. I had never before seen any of those Crow behaviours.

I'd be lost without our garden, though at the moment it's more than a handful to manage.

As you say, there's so much going on, watching who is where in the peck order, and as for grey squirrels, ours must be on loopy juice, constantly battling against each other, and on occasions charge head on at each other!

If you can, get a garden or nature cam, and video the antics that go on.