Weekend in Norfolk

Just for a change, Mrs WJ & I had a long weekend in Norfolk.  I don't have any problems in Norfolk - though a Suffolk boy, I speak fluent Norfolk when required - indeed, better than most residents.  At least I can pronounce the place names properly!  With some odd weather around, we were a bit restricted in sites, but it's nice to get away regardless.  The Grey seals off Cley beach were as inquisitive as always

and the Little Egret was getting a bit friendly for the big lens

Stonechats were also conspicuous on the fence rails

Although Titchwell was the better spot for the various waders, with Redshank

Black Tailed Godwit

and what I think is a Grey Plover all busy poking around

Various ducks were around of course, but the smart Pintail was the nicest.  They never come too close, though this one was at least close enough for SOME sort of shot!

Down on the beach, little Sanderling were scurrying along the tide line looking for tasty treats

Turnstones are the masters of tide line hunting though, everything gets chucked around when they're searching

Don't snigger at the mess though, you'll get a dirty look...

Leaving the reserves behind, we had a stroll around Holkham Hall grounds.  It's a nice place to stretch the legs - and there's a large deer park too, so plenty of Fallow Deer about

There were also plenty of incredibly unobservant people walking their dogs - not one of them noticed the Kestrel watching them walk underneath, despite this daft bloke stood beside the path pointing a camera in the air!  Ah well, can't win 'em all I suppose :-)

• I kept wishing that someone would post up some photos on this miserable wet day to cheer me up and Yesssss I got my wish, well more than with this absolutely stunning set WJ. The setting, colours, detail are truly magical; love them all but the Stonechat on fence with pebbles behind is so striking not to mention the first pic with the Grey Seal sticking its nose out of the water ! The rest ain't half bad either LOL,
    many thanks for brightening up this 'orrible day ! Going back now to view them in full screen again :)
  • Yes fabulous pics again WJ, must say I like the Turnstone shot when you must have been flat on the beach to come face to face with it's angry stare. I also like the seal surfacing and of course the Kestrel, cheered me up too as it has been such a miserable, wet windy day.
  • Just repeating what the others have mentioned--fabulous pics. Thanks, WJ. Looks like you had blue sky and a bit of sun today. Down here on the Surrey/Hampshire border it drizzled all day.
  • The Norfolk climate certainly did you proud with your sightings, and superb photos.

• Yes, fabulous shots, I love to see sanderlings running around at the waters edge. Your photos make me think of summer holidays!
  • Ahhh, summer, that long forgotten time when it wasn't lashing it down and you're not nervously checking the car's spec sheet for its wading capability before attempting puddles!
  • Yes, I remember back in the Spring of1979 in Somerset going through about 100 yds of floodwater in our old Triumph herald & the water came up through the floor, got through it ok.
    We had about 20mm yesterday & 30mm since midnight today & that's on rain-sodden ground. There are a few interesting waders in the fields though, just need the wind to drop a tad to get out there.
  • Unknown said:
    Ahhh, summer, that long forgotten time when it wasn't lashing it down and you're not nervously checking the car's spec sheet for its wading capability before attempting puddles!

A distant memory......

• Hazel C said:
    Yes, I remember back in the Spring of1979 in Somerset going through about 100 yds of floodwater in our old Triumph herald & the water came up through the floor, got through it ok.
    We had about 20mm yesterday & 30mm since midnight today & that's on rain-sodden ground. There are a few interesting waders in the fields though, just need the wind to drop a tad to get out there.

I used to love sitting on the front wheels of the old Triumph Heralds (and Spitfires, GT6's and Vitesses') while servicing them, or doing engine repairs!

• Superb photos as usual, WJ. I love the metaphor of the pebbles on the post behind the Stonechat. Brilliant composition.