A frosty start at Leighton Moss - stuffed with extra stuff

Like others, I have been taking advantage of the beautiful sunshine, in my case with one of my semi-regular trips up to the Moss. I got there with time to spare before dawn and went straight down to the estuary hides to get the best light. A silhouetted Redshank in dawn's reflection.

I thought these Black-tailed Godwits looked like they were floating in colourful nothing.

They were spooked several times by passing Peregrines or Harriers coming off the roost and flying out to hunt over the estuary

It was even more impressive than normal when they catch the more colourful early morning light as they twist and turn

I hadn't realised there was a little interloper in there until I got home

I seem to have caught them in a more geometric pattern in this one and just as they turned into the light

A Goosander came in nice and close

A beautiful little Teal

As I was walking back to the car park before moving over to the main reserve, there were quite a few birds feeding on the frosty ground, including Starlings flashing their colours in the sun

A male Reed Bunting

A lovely, if rather irate looking little Blue Tit

Another spotty Starling

A couple of Robins who spent as much time chasing each other as looking for food

A Chaffinch

And another Starling looking unimpressed with way that the others aren't paying him any attention

Apparently, the numbers in the roost are good, but they hadn't yet put on any murmurations. Hopefully, they'll start sometime soon.

That's as far as I've got with processing the photos, so far. I'll put those up from the main reserve when I have them!

• The pastel coloured lighting and the frost certainly made for some excellent shots. The birds did their part too (and the bloke with the camera...).
  • Beautiful photos Nigel, especially like the Redshank in the dawn and the birds in flight, and the Goosander on the calm water, great selection.
  • Yep, lovely Nigel--thanks! Tough to pick a favourite, though possibly the first two shots. Your floating Godwits could also go in the reflections thread, of course.
  • As everyone has said, Nige, another lovely set, in some super light, beautifully cxaptured
  • Nice captures Nige, and it looked like a very cold morning.
  • A beautiful collection Nige capturing not only the different species but also the wonderful early dawn light; Leighton Moss never disappoints and I believe the Otters are showing again now. Look forward to any more pics you have.
  • Thanks all
    The pools in front of Grizedale and Jackson hides were frozen but all the others were open water. I didn't see any otters, although one had been reported first thing. The light remained good all day, but especially in the late afternoon when I just sat in Lillian's photographing the ducks that had all congregated there. I still have loads of those to work through!
  • Unknown said:
    still have loads of those to work through!

keep 'em coming when you have time Nige !

• I've finally finished with the photos, so here are some from the main reserve.

I was quite pleased to find Fieldfares by the visitor centre as I never saw any at all last winter. Even got one snaffling berries in the courtyard

A few woodland birds, including a Marsh Tit. It looks like I used a flash but the low sun was just right behind me

A Dunnock

A Blackbird

Some Siskins in the Alders by the dipping pool

Sadly, Walter refused to come out, so he's now officially been crossed off my Christmas card list!

Down in Lower hide, a Harrier sent all the wildfowl scurrying in every direction. Mr and Mrs Teal headed for the hide

After that, I spent the last hour of sunlight in Lillians where a lot of the birds had congregated as it was relatively ice free. Fantastic lighting to watch the various waterfowl, including Pintail

We all know birds like fenceposts, but I don't often see ducks enjoying them

Not everyone is as elegant getting up there, though

The brothers P

Mr T showing off

However, the first Shoveler on a post had started something and every other male Shoveler queued up to take a turn.

It was worth all that effort just for this pose!!

I don't know why I find that amusing ... but I do!

Last rays catch another Pintail

I wonder what it says that it was the males posing on posts and idly swimming in front of the hide while most of the females had their heads down feeding!

• Unknown said:
    Sadly, Walter refused to come out, so he's now officially been crossed off my Christmas card list!

LOL Nige !!    despite no show Walter the other birds put on a good show for you and it was nice to see the Siskins around and the Fieldfares;   also the handsome drake Pintail, Teal and Shovelers are always lovely to see.    Love the Dunnock and other woodland birds too.    Great set all round, thanks.