A frosty start at Leighton Moss - stuffed with extra stuff

• I've finally finished with the photos, so here are some from the main reserve.

I was quite pleased to find Fieldfares by the visitor centre as I never saw any at all last winter. Even got one snaffling berries in the courtyard

A few woodland birds, including a Marsh Tit. It looks like I used a flash but the low sun was just right behind me

A Dunnock

A Blackbird

Some Siskins in the Alders by the dipping pool

Sadly, Walter refused to come out, so he's now officially been crossed off my Christmas card list!

Down in Lower hide, a Harrier sent all the wildfowl scurrying in every direction. Mr and Mrs Teal headed for the hide

After that, I spent the last hour of sunlight in Lillians where a lot of the birds had congregated as it was relatively ice free. Fantastic lighting to watch the various waterfowl, including Pintail

We all know birds like fenceposts, but I don't often see ducks enjoying them

Not everyone is as elegant getting up there, though

The brothers P

Mr T showing off

However, the first Shoveler on a post had started something and every other male Shoveler queued up to take a turn.

It was worth all that effort just for this pose!!

I don't know why I find that amusing ... but I do!

Last rays catch another Pintail

I wonder what it says that it was the males posing on posts and idly swimming in front of the hide while most of the females had their heads down feeding!

Nige   Flickr

• In reply to Nigel O:

Nigel O said:
    Sadly, Walter refused to come out, so he's now officially been crossed off my Christmas card list!

LOL Nige !!    despite no show Walter the other birds put on a good show for you and it was nice to see the Siskins around and the Fieldfares;   also the handsome drake Pintail, Teal and Shovelers are always lovely to see.    Love the Dunnock and other woodland birds too.    Great set all round, thanks. 

Regards, Hazel 

"Each kindness shown to birds or men is sure to flutter back again" 

• It looks like the 2nd part of your day was as marvellous as the 1st Nige, with continuing good light, a fabulous array of species and a camera in the hands of a man who knows what he's doing!
    Love the colours on the various drakes, and I too find the indignant Shoveler amusing....perhaps he's doing a pelican impression?!
  • In reply to PimperneBloke:

Thanks. It was nice of everything to pose so thoughtfully given it was a beautiful day. 

PimperneBloke said:
    I too find the indignant Shoveler amusing....perhaps he's doing a pelican impression?!

I thought that too and I was going to comment on it, but then changed the narrative.

Nige   Flickr

• A great set of photos Nigel, my favourite has to be the Dunnock in such lovely settings and light. Love the attempts to get up onto the post. Pintail posing beautifully and probably laughing at the antics of the Shovellers.

Lot to learn