Photo Editor

Following TJ kindly lightning one of my pics to make it about a million times better, I was just wondering what software you folks use to improve your images? All I've ever done is crop, so have no knowledge/experience in the field. Free downloads would be my 1st choice, until I get some semblance of skill at it, and whether it's something I would want to do on a regular basis.

Thanks for your knowledge :o)

• I'm not sure what camera you have PB, but if you are a Nikon user, their free software suite is well worth investigating. It is perhaps not quite so flexible as Photoshop Elements, but does somethings better and it is designed for Nikon cameras so any adjustment you can do in camera before taking the shot, you can also do in post edit (exposure, white balance, etc etc) and much more besides (levels adjustment, spot healing, etc). You can also add tags and ratings, to help organise and find things later. Let me know if you want to know more.
    I have also used Photoshop Elements for years but that's mainly because I have a graphics tablet (for digital art software). Last year, I needed to update and looked at Lightroom but a one off payment for Elements is so much cheaper than the subscription for Lightroom that I couldn't see sufficient reason to go for the latter and just purchased a new copy of Elements (2019). There's almost no difference to my old Elements 11 except the updates to new RAW file compatibility.
    I do the majority of my photo editing in the Nikon software, especially for wildlife, but I also use Elements for certain things, particularly for landscapes where I tend to use layers and masks more (applying different processes to selective parts of the image).
    There are (or were) some free Elements-like apps out there, including GIMP. Oddly named but easily found on the web and a reliable download. I'm not sure if it will handle RAW files, but certainly JPEG and the like.
  • Unknown said:

I'm still trying to work out what "Social media orientation" refers to :-)

You're a lucky man. ;)

Joking aside, many programs today auto link with Facebook and Instagram once you've shared you login details, The idea being that once you've got your picture to the standard you want, it then automatically uploads the image for you.

You can also create albums, add comments for uploading, create a favourites album [yawn]!

What it wouldn't do was link to Flickr, not that I was that worried, uploading and creating albums on Flickr is easy enough.......

I can create my own albums on my PC without social media or extra programs. It's creating a folder in Windows, or whatever operating system you have!

• Ah ok, I see what you mean. I simply bypass all that rubbish & ignore it. A simple tweak means PSE opens directly into the editor rather than the Homescreen with all the useless extras, so I've managed to avoid it being in my face all the time. First thing I do with any system or software is disable cloud features and other platform integrations (partly as a result of many years testing IT products & services). I prefer to be in control of my data a bit more than FB etc like :-)
  • Unknown said:
    Ah ok, I see what you mean. I simply bypass all that rubbish & ignore it. A simple tweak means PSE opens directly into the editor rather than the Homescreen with all the useless extras, so I've managed to avoid it being in my face all the time. First thing I do with any system or software is disable cloud features and other platform integrations (partly as a result of many years testing IT products & services). I prefer to be in control of my data a bit more than FB etc like :-)

Same as me, I disable all those annoying gimmicks, FB, Inst and the Cloud.....

That's why I've hung on to my old version of PSE 10, it still does the job I want it for.

I wonder how much longer before we're forced down the route of accepting these gimmicks!

• Thanks all for your thoughts and input.
    I think I'll try the Nikon one to start with as suggested by Nige, simply because I have a Nikon camera, and if the software is designed to work with it, it seems silly not to try it!

Incidentally, my sister uses Photoshop fully jobby with Lightroom

Thanks again all, most appreciated

ps WJ, I forgot you'd done some tutorial bits, I'll be tuning back in to them as and when a) I get time, and b) when I think "how do I do that" :o)